VMware Horizon Community
caryers
Contributor
Contributor

Application Deployment

Is there an overall consensus to the preferred VDI application deployment....ThinApp, AppV, and XENApp regardless of price ??? I want a view point for performance and administrative overhead. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance... Scott

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I think people here will be biased since its a vmware forum, but I would say that ThinApp is the best technology to deliver applications to vdi-desktops because of the streaming technology opposed to the caching technology that AppV uses.

XenApp is a whole other kind of solution and might fill a need that you have but maybe RemoteApp could be an alternative for a lower price.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We are currently making the switch from App-V over to ThinApp.   I can honestly say I have had a much better experience packaging and deploying with ThinApp.   The integration that View and ThinApp have is definitely a plus too.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

It's hard to beat the integration of ThinApp in View. It makes deployment and management so easy.

Outside of View, I think ThinApp is lacking a little since they want you to use your regular deployment tools (they say it's a feature, but thats up for debate)... if you have something in place already for non-VDI, I'd stick with that. Otherwise I'd probably go with ThinApp if you have a good relationship with VMware already.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos