5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 11:43 PM by lamw

4.1 Hardening Guide

MKguy Virtuoso

A new version of the Hardening Guide, specifically for vSphere 4.1 is out:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-15413

I haven't really checked whats new or what has changed yet, but is there a new version of the vmwarevSphereSecurityHardeningReportCheck.pl for this updated guide planned already?

• 1. Re: 4.1 Hardening Guide
          dconvery Virtuoso
          vExpert

I will be out of the office with limited access to voice mail or email until Friday, April 8th, 2011. I will respond on my return.

• 2. Re: 4.1 Hardening Guide
            vancod Enthusiast

Best. Post. Ever.

Another well-done forum thanks to VMware and JAVA.....

• 3. Re: 4.1 Hardening Guide
              lamw Guru
              Community WarriorsVMware Employees

Hello,

I just went through the document comparing the checks to the draft release of vSphere Security Hardening Guide 4.1 and it looks like there was only one additional check introduced which was HCM06 - NFC

The script has been updated to include this new check and some minor text was updated.

Let me know if you hit any issues if you want to check, but if you ran the previous version, it's exactly the same minus the HCM06 check

• 4. Re: 4.1 Hardening Guide
                MKguy Virtuoso

Awesomely fast again.

I ran an SSLF, DMZ and Enterprise check and it worked like a charm, no issues. The new HCM06 check in SSLF was fine too.

Just one suggestion or request, could you make the script send the report as either an attachment (like with the Healthcheck) or set the MIME to text/html? The email is plaintext only by default, displaying the whole html code.

I manually "fixed" this by inserting $smtp->datasend("Content-type: text/html\n"); at line 2234.

• 5. Re: 4.1 Hardening Guide
                  lamw Guru
                  VMware EmployeesCommunity Warriors

Check out the latest version 1.7 which sends the report via an attachment. I've also included a new option to output to CSV as well and if you email the report, both the HTML & CSV will be attached.