VMware Horizon Community
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

user data disks

I am running view 4.5 and have datastores dedicated for the user data disks, when I browse the contents of the datastore I see two types of vmdk:

The majority are like this and are at the root of the datastore:

pcname-vdm-user-disk-P-guidname.vmdk

Then I have about 10 folders in the same datastore called after the PC and contain a vmdk like:

PC01\PC01.vmdk

Can anyone tell me the difference between these disks?  The pools are set to put the pc vmdk on one store and the user data disk on a separate store, so when I take a look at PC01 from the VCen it shows it has two datastores P Data store and OS Data store, confused.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have these  user disk always  lived on this particular dedicated datastore or have you done a rebalance to pull anyover?    Perhaps one pool and it's persistent disk were created in an older version of View where the naming scheme was a bit different.

0 Kudos
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've only ever run 4.5 but may have rebalanced the datastores at sometime

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

pcname-vdm-user-disk-P-guidname.vmdk are the persistent disk that you have configured for user data redirection during pool create wizard.

These files will b esaved in the root directory of the datastore, if you have separately specified a datastore space for that.

PC01\PC01.vmdk can part of the pool, you need to compare the Pool's, VM naming pattern , also the selected datastore for OS disks. Typically these disks will be delta of OS disks in case of linked clone pools

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I would do a test rebalance on a couple of select data disk to see if it changes the name.   

0 Kudos
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All pools are linked pools and the data store does not have any OS disks located on this store

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You select the linked clone Vm from the vCenter server and see the summary.

It will list all the datastore related tot hat particular VM. By this way you cna ensure to which VM that datastore folders related to.

If any of the pool VM is located to this datastore which is not configured as part of pool configuration then perform a rebalance to correct it.

0 Kudos