VMware Cloud Community
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VC 4.0 to VC4.1

hi guys

I got VC 4.0 now we want to migrate to VC 4.1 (new IP and hostname)
The new VM 64bits is created.

SQL 2005 Server is used and is located in another server dedicated only for SQL Databases.

my questions would be
Should I just install VC 4.1 in the new Windows and point the DSN to the SQL Database?
will make this any change on the existing SQL?

I think I have to remove ESX servers from the existing VC
I have to export licenses too
and stop the VC service from the existing VC 4.0

add ESX to the new VC 4.1

that's it?
any other step? I should be aware of

thanks a lot

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kopper27 wrote:

my questions would be
Should I just install VC 4.1 in the new Windows and point the DSN to the SQL Database?

yes. The DB schema will be upgraded so ensure you have a full backup prior to upgrading.  You will also need to create a new DSN connection using the 64bit SQL Native Client.

I would make a note of the vCenter Server Unique ID: and change the new vCenter instance to reflect the old.  This doesn't HAVE to be done, but it's always good practice to keep it the same.  This will keep any new VM's MAC addresses consistent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kopper27 wrote:

my questions would be

yes. The DB schema will be upgraded so ensure you have a full backup prior to upgrading.  You will also need to create a new DSN connection using the 64bit SQL Native Client.

I would make a note of the vCenter Server Unique ID: and change the new vCenter instance to reflect the old.  This doesn't HAVE to be done, but it's always good practice to keep it the same.  This will keep any new VM's MAC addresses consistent

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks a lot

how can I do this

I would make a note of the vCenter Server Unique ID: and change the new  vCenter instance to reflect the old.  This doesn't HAVE to be done, but  it's always good practice to keep it the same.  This will keep any new  VM's MAC addresses consistent

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the vCenter Server Unique ID can be found by going to Administration--vCenter Server Settings--RunTime Settings.

kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks a lot

I really appreciate it

0 Kudos