VMware Horizon Community
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recompose failed

Hello,

I have issue with my  View 4.5 environment. I have prepared new "gold image" with View Agent 4.6 and some minor changes and tried to recompose all my desktop pools (linked clone, dedicated) but recompose failed with error - Provisioning error occurred for Machine XXX: Refit operation resync failed. When I delete desktop and recreate it again it will be deployed with new image. Recompose desktops to older image did not work also..

Have you anyone same experience?

JZ

0 Kudos
17 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Need a bit more information here. What versions of ESX/i and vCenter are you using? At this point all I can say is that there are a number of reasons a recompose can fail. Here are some things that caused be much grief:

1) Not enough IP addresses on in pool vlan. - This can lead to cryptic errors.

2) The windows firewall is turned on. - No agent comms.

3) There is some sort of hardware incompatibility in the master image (strange that you can create an LC pool with this error, but not recompose) - I have seen this happen due to incompatible hardware in the VM master image. How did you make the master image? Did you make it from scratch or P2V?

4) Incompatible driver/configuration on the recompose image. - This is why I asked about your infrastructure.

5) You discovered a bug. Sad to say, but View may have a few bugs from time to time.

Please list your minor changes that you tried to make.

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

thank you for your advice but:

1) it is no problem with ip pool - virtual machine exists and I want only recompose. It is pssible add virtual desktop.

2) fw is off - agent communicate with virtual machine - shut down and then nothing

3) new gold image is done same as previous  - maybe 10 versions, it is not possible recompose to older gold image which was used before with no issue

4) same virtual machine as previous versions - same drivers, same hw

5) 🙂

JZ

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

If you are using View 4.6 agent, then you should also use view 4.6 connection server and  view composer v2.6.

-noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

yes - SHOULD, but in this doc is shown that View Agent 4.6 is compatible with View 4.5 and this issue happens on three of four desktop pools only..

http://pubs.vmware.com/view46/ol/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=upgrade/GUID-E9BB81A4-1054-4...

0 Kudos
bburgan
Contributor
Contributor

Have you made sure the transfer server has enough free space on it?  I had this same problem and it turned out I only had 5 gig left on the share I was using for my transfer server (Where the master snapshots/images were held), and once I gave it more space my recompose issues faded away.

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

thx, but free space is not issue  - i have lot of free space.

JZ

0 Kudos
RayUC
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add, I have the same exact issue.  View 4.6 for Connection, Security and Transfer Server.  4.6 agent installed on the updated master/gold image.  Recompose fails with the "Refit operation resync failed" message and the VMs requested to be recomposed stays shutdown.  Like the original poster, creating net new VMs work in the pool and they'll show up with the new 4.6 agent and fully functional.  I just can NOT recompose the existing VMs to the new update image.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi Joe,

Please read the lines below compatibilty matrix on the link you provided.

"Until both View Connection Server and View Composer are upgraded, View Composer operations do not work. If you have View Connection Server 4.6 and View Composer 1.0, 2.0, or 2.5, users can connect to their desktops, but no new linked-clone desktops can be created, and recompose, rebalance, and refresh operations do not work. Also, you cannot edit settings for linked-clone pools"

This is because View composer version has to be in sync with view agent for any linked clone operations.

-noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

upgrade to View 4.6 and Composer 2.6 did not help.. Old Pools did not work, but pool which was created today morning, before upgrade, working fine.. strange..

JZ

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Glad to hear you solved your issue. I had a similar problem with View 4.0.1. I could create an LC pool, but when I tried to refresh or recompose the pool the operations would fail and none of the VMs would work. In my cae it turned out that my master VM had hardware that was incompatible with version 3.5 of ESX (4.0 Virtual center). Bottom line was that the VMs were in a inconsistent state. Deleting them and starting over solved my problem.

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi tacticsbaby,

Maybe I wrote it not right  - I have still issue with old pools,. I add my finding  - I found workaround   - create new pool, but it is not clear my issue.

Joe

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Your issue(s) are different from mine, but I think that for some reason your VMs in the pools are being put into an inconsistent state. I have seen this in 4.0.1 (we currently use this). In my case it was a hardware related issue that popped up because we were using vsphere 4.0 with ESX 3.5 hosts. This was a weird View bug that surfaced in that configuration. Can you try to fix one VM from the problem pools? This may shed some light on what is happening. In my case I ended up correcting other issues and then making new pools, and that solved my problem with recomposes/refreshes. Just for a test I manually (Not from within the view management environment) deleted a few VMs in the problem pool and when they were recreated they were fully functional (I could recomp/refresh). Whatever you do please let me know the results. Thanks and good luck.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

can you check if you have done upgrade as per documentation.

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/view-46-upgrades.pdf

-noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same issue here.  Updated to 4.6 all the way.  Kept the pools at 4.5 for a week.  Then the following week updated the agents to 4.6.  Recomposed.  And had errors on some machines:  Provisioning error occurred for Machine : Refit operation resync failed.

Creating a new pool works.  Then we decided to refresh the errored desktops, and that seems to have "fixed" our issue.  Well, the only other issue is we have to manually start each computer once in order for them initiate the snapshots and continue with the provisioning.  Overall so far the upgrade to 4.6 was a painful process.

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

Our previous agents were at 4.5, but after what we did on my previous post, they stated 4.6.  We did another re-compose and it went through smoothly, like it should.

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke to soon.  Recomposed another that had issues, and this one also had issues.  Two errors (booting them up has no OS).  Refreshed both, and one comes up, but the other still errors (after 3 more refreshes).  Going to delete (but remove perisistent disk) the issue one and see what happens.

0 Kudos
thels
Contributor
Contributor

Had similar issues and ended up having to call support to fix some SQL entries.  Looks like the reinstall of Composer sets up a new ID in SQL for the Composer DB and it gets confused.  Making new clones work, but recomposing fails.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200102...

http://viewtrivia.blogspot.com/2011/04/recompose-of-view-vms-fail-with-error.html

0 Kudos