VMware Cloud Community
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Network adapter is not connected

Hi,

I have a Virtual machine. After i powered on the VM, i see that it is not in the network (not able to ping the vm).

Then, i powered off the VM and then I checked if the virtual machine is connected to the management network by right clicking the VM, edit settings, and checked the network adapter.

I noticed that the "connected" is not checked.

So, i checked it in order to make it "connected" and then powered on. But when i tried to verify by checking the device status by right clicking on the vm, edit settings, it has again automatically unchecked the "connected" option and hence the vm is still out of network.

I am not able to figure it out why it is still not connected after power on, even after i connected it serveral times.

Please have a look at the screenshot for reference.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please read http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009103 and make sure you have available ports on your "VM Network" vSwitch. If this does not apply to you, take a look into the vmkernel log.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's interesting. Would you mind to attach the latest vmware.log to find out whether this includes some hints? Which OS are you running? In Windows the NIC's may be attached as removable devices (in the system tray). Is there anything in the guest OS's event logs about the NIC?

André

0 Kudos
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Andre.

Attaching the vmware.log

The guest OS is a ESX server (running as a virtual machine).

Also, i had encountered the same problem few days back, and that was with Windows guest OS.

Also, i do see that the NICs are present (from the log)

ethernet0.present = TRUE

ethernet1.present = TRUE

But i see some error:

Mar 20 15:37:17.532: vcpu-0| Msg_Post: Error
Mar 20 15:37:17.533: vcpu-0| [msg.ethernet.e1000.openFailed] Failed to connect ethernet0.
Still wondering what went wrong.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please read http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009103 and make sure you have available ports on your "VM Network" vSwitch. If this does not apply to you, take a look into the vmkernel log.

André

0 Kudos
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bingo !!

It was the number of ports available on vswitch that created a problem.

I had changed it to 8 sometimes back due to some test. And now i changed it to default 120 and it looks fine.

However i dint reboot the host but.

The network adapter is now able to connect.

Thanks André.

0 Kudos