VMware Cloud Community
skayser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tool to aggregate/analyze vSphere storage statistics for sizing purposes?

I quite often run into grown vSphere installations with local disk only. Now naturally people want/need to move to centralized storage for which I'd like to do proper IOPS/throughput sizing. The datastore statistics are all available within vCenter - they are fragmented though (datastore-by-datastore).

Anyone aware of an existing tool that grabs these stats and produces aggregated, time-dependent metrics? I'm thinking about averages, max, min,  and a frequency distribution or binning for read/write IOPS, read/write latency, and read/write throughput. All based on a selected timeframe (day, week,  month) and a list of datastores that one is interested in.

Sounds super-helpful and I feel that something like this should exist on the market, but I am not aware of anything.

P.S.: I'm specifically looking for a pre-existing tool, not for a go-spend-some-time and DIY with Powershell approach.

EDIT: Such a tool would also be helpful for existing, centralized storage vSphere infrastructures where the storage system(s) don't provide the relevant stats in an accessible or useful manner.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lanamarkinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have a look at the Lanamark Suite Services Edition. It provides detailed metrics across virtual machines, VM hosts, virtual disks and datastores. These capabilities are designed to help VMware partners deliver professional and managed services for existing VMware deployments. If you submit an online query referencing this thread, we will respond to you promptly.

0 Kudos