VMware Cloud Community
Marietto2011101
Contributor
Contributor

VM isolation cannot speak each other

hi there,

i've a issue with vswitch, my VM can speak outside esxi (i can ping and rdp) but they cannot speak each other

i tried to make them speaking on default vswitch0 and i tried to create a vswitch1 on a different pNIC and a vswitch2 with no NIC

there is nothing to do, my VM can't talk each other, no ping, no rdp

what can i check?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.  Are you manually assigning an IP address to the VMs or do they get an IP via DHCP?  Any firewalls enabled on these VM?  The vSwitch is pretty much the equivalent of a basic unmanaged switch so if you have external connectivity you should be fine between VMs on the same vSwitch (assuming the VMs aren't isolated with VLANs which is not the case here).

0 Kudos
Marietto2011101
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for welcome.

IP are manually assigned.

Windows firewall is enabled (I've just tried to disable but nothing changes)

I can ping all the VMs from my laptop and connect with remote desktop

I can surf internet from VMs and ping the ASA firewall at the edge of physical network

no VLAN configured on vSwitch

I know that vSwitch works like an unmaneged switch taht's why I can't understand where is the problem (this is not my first installation).

I checked my other installation and option on vSwitch are the same

0 Kudos
rcaldeira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

About your screenshot, I saw two virtual interfaces for VM (DC01). Do the two interfaces have the same IP subnet?

Try do disable the DC01 interface on vswitch1, and ping the DC01 interface on vswitch0 from APP01 VM.

If it work after you disabel the second tinterface is probably that DC01 is try to respond IP request on the second interface on vswitch1.

To correct it, change ip address for the second interface to other subnet.

rcaldeira

0 Kudos
Marietto2011101
Contributor
Contributor

the interface on vSwitch1 is disable, was only a test and is configured 10.0.0.0/24 the other is on 192.168.2.0/24

i tried to disable but the ping from APP01 says host unreachable

0 Kudos
rcaldeira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you post your IP setup?

Do you have another virtual machine to test?

If you have a third VM is easier to troubleshooting, we can test this third VM against the other two VMs.

Marietto2011101
Contributor
Contributor

I made an ipconfig

MAC address is always the same

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

You've posted IP details for DB01 (which does not appear on the switch) - your Switch records show only DC01 and the APP01 patched.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
Marietto2011101
Contributor
Contributor

u'r right sorry, i've added 1 more vm

and all vms have same mac address i think this is the problem with an unmanaged switch... 🙂

0 Kudos
Marietto2011101
Contributor
Contributor

i've tried this

http://www.twistedethics.com/2008/07/16/force-vmware-to-generate-a-new-mac-address/

i obtein always the same mac

anyone has an alternative solution?

0 Kudos
Marietto2011101
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Duplicate MAC addresses would cauise your networking issues.

Have you now managed to get each VM to have its own MAC address and has this resolved your issue?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos