5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 11:03 PM by lamw

How to exclude a VMDK when distributed across multiple datastores

SkokieAdmin Novice

How do I only backup 1 specific VMDK in a distributed environment?

I'm running on ESX 3.5 U5 and 4.1 servers. ghettoVCBg2 version 4.3

I have VMDKs with the same names on different datastores but I only want to backup one of them. How do I do this?

• 1. Re: How to exclude a VMDK when distributed across multiple datastores
          lamw Guru
          Community WarriorsVMware Employees

Please take a look a the documentation - http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9843 on setting up specific backup policy for VMs in which you only want particular VMDKs to be backed up.

• 2. Re: How to exclude a VMDK when distributed across multiple datastores
            SkokieAdmin Novice

I have reviewed this documentation but did not see anything about indicating a specific datastore for a VMDK.

• 3. Re: How to exclude a VMDK when distributed across multiple datastores
              lamw Guru

It does, you need to create a custom backup policy for a particular VM, within that configuration you can specify which backup datastore you would like backed up to. You also have the ability to specify the particular VMDK, the script will automatically go through and figure out the valid DISKs that _can_ be backed up, if there are certain constraints, it'll uphold such as only backing up the datadisk of a VM and not OS ... this if course specified by the name of the VMDK file. Please take a look at the documentation as it provides you with some examples and there is a template that's included if you downloaded the script from the document.

• 4. Re: How to exclude a VMDK when distributed across multiple datastores
                SkokieAdmin Novice

Ok, I get what you are saying. I have tried the custon VM policy file. I'm willing to bet its a formatting issue within the config file. I have included the output for 1 particular VM. In this example you will see that there are 3 VMDKs, all with the same name and all stored in different datastores. The issue is I want the first 2 disks but not the last one.

03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: ---------- DRYRUN DEBUG INFO MYSERVER ----------
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - Host Build: VMware ESX 4.1.0 build-260247
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - License: esxEnterprise
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - Host: ESXHOST.DOMAIN.com
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - Virtual Machine: MYSERVER

03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - VM ConfigPath: [HP-SAN-ARCH] MYSERVER/MYSERVER.vmx
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - VMX File: MYSERVER.vmx
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - BackupConfigPath: [HP-SAN-ARCH] Backups/MYSERVER/MYSERVER-2011-03-14/MYSERVER.vmx
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - BackupPath: [HP-SAN-ARCH] Backups/MYSERVER/MYSERVER-2011-03-14
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - VM Datastore: HP-SAN-01

03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - VMDK(s):
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - [HP-SAN-01] MYSERVER/MYSERVER.vmdk
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - [MYSERVER-HP-SAN-02] MYSERVER/MYSERVER.vmdk
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: DEBUG - [MYSERVER-HP-SAN-03] MYSERVER/MYSERVER.vmdk
                        03-14-2011 11:55:29 --  info: ---------- DRYRUN DEBUG INFO MYSERVER ----------

My Custom Config File:

==============================================================================

VM_BACKUP_DATASTORE = "HP-SAN-ARCH"
                VM_BACKUP_DIRECTORY = "Backups"
                VM_BACKUP_ROTATION_COUNT = "2"
                DISK_BACKUP_FORMAT = "zeroedthick"
                ADAPTER_FORMAT = "lsilogic"
                POWER_VM_DOWN_BEFORE_BACKUP = "0"
                VM_SNAPSHOT_MEMORY = "0"
                VM_SNAPSHOT_QUIESCE = "0"
                LOG_LEVEL = "debug"
                VM_VMDK_FILES = "[HP-SAN-01] MYSERVER/MYSERVER.vmdk,[HP-SAN-02] MYSERVER/MYSERVER.vmdk"

• 5. Re: How to exclude a VMDK when distributed across multiple datastores
                  lamw Guru

I see what you're saying. The VM_VMDK_FILES parameter just accepts the name of the VMDK file itself, unfortunately it does not accept the full path and in your case you have the VMDK named the same since it's spread across three unique datastores.