9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 11:56 AM by continuum

Uninstall fails after installing Hyper-V role

jaraco Novice

I installed VMWare Workstation 7.1.3 on my Windows Server 2008 R2 server to temporarily host some virtual machines. I've since installed the Hyper-V role on that server and migrated the hosts to Hyper-V. I now want to uninstall VMWare Workstation, but when I attempt to do so through the Programs and Features control panel, I get the legacy error message: "[uninstall] Error: This product can only be installed on Windows XP or later. Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, and 2000 are not supported. [ OK ]" Obviously, this message is in error, but by doing some searching, I determined this error actually means that the installer refuses to run on systems which have Hyper-V installed.

Is there a version of the installer that will uninstall VMWare Workstation properly? If not, are there plans to fix this flaw? Do I have any options other than to follow the manual uninstall steps outlined here? I'm wary of the manual uninstall steps because they include over-reaching suggestions like "Delete your appdata directory" (see Manual uninstall step 5b). Uninstalling Hyper-V at this point is not a viable option.

It should be fairly straightforward to add an option to the installer to bypass the Hyper-V check (and then use that option in the registered uninstall command).