5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2013 2:31 PM by reusensj

Not all vmdk's backed up

reusensj Lurker

I have a vm "sol10" with 5 vmdk's  of which 2 are "normal" and the others are independent.

The behaviour should be that with the option VM_VMDK_FILES=all, the normal vmdk's are backed up and the others ignored.What happens is that only one is backed-up. Any idea's ?

The log is pasted at: http://pastebin.com/FYC2J2UH

I'm using:

- ghettovcb2.pl version 4.3

- ESXi, 4.0.0, 294855

- local datastores vmfs3 for the virtual machines, and and NFS mounted datastore for backup.

- the VM is a solaris 10 machine with 5 harddisks.

the backup configuration for sol10 is:

VM_BACKUP_DATASTORE = "VM-Backups"
      VM_BACKUP_DIRECTORY = "VMWARE_BACKUPS"
      VM_BACKUP_ROTATION_COUNT = "1"
      DISK_BACKUP_FORMAT = "zeroedthick"
      ADAPTER_FORMAT = "buslogic"
      POWER_VM_DOWN_BEFORE_BACKUP = "0"
      LOG_LEVEL = "debug"
      VM_SNAPSHOT_MEMORY = "0"
      VM_SNAPSHOT_QUIESCE = "0"
      VM_VMDK_FILES = "all"

• 1. Re: Not all vmdk's backed up
          lamw Guru
          VMware EmployeesCommunity Warriors

Please read the FAQ on proper posting etiquette - http://communities.vmware.com/groups/ghettovcbg2

Thanks

• 2. Re: Not all vmdk's backed up
            reusensj Lurker

sorry William. I updated post according FAQ rules.

• 3. Re: Not all vmdk's backed up
              lamw Guru
              Community WarriorsVMware Employees

Hi,

Looking at the logs it did find the 2 VMDKs you spoke of:

03-04-2011  01:53:08 --  debug: backupVMDK: Backing up "[datastore3]   sol10/sol10.vmdk" to "[VM-Backups]   VMWARE_BACKUPS/sol10/sol10-2011-03-04/sol10.vmdk"03-04-2011 01:53:08 --   debug: backupVMDK: Backing up "[datastore3]  sol10/sol10.vmdk" to  "[VM-Backups]  VMWARE_BACKUPS/sol10/sol10-2011-03-04/sol10.vmdk"

which took 3min from the logs and

03-04-2011  01:56:08 --  debug: backupVMDK: Backing up "[datastore3]   sol10/sol10_1.vmdk" to "[VM-Backups]   VMWARE_BACKUPS/sol10/sol10-2011-03-04/sol10_1.vmdk"

which took 516min

Were these not the two VMDKs you were expecting? Based on the logs, the backup occured

• 4. Re: Not all vmdk's backed up
                reusensj Lurker

Hi William,

can this be correct:

the sol10/sol10.vmdk is 268G and in the VMWARE_BACKUPS/sol10/sol10-2011-03-04/sol10.vmdk it's 106 G

the sol10/sol10_1.vmdk is 268G and in the VMWARE_BACKUPS/sol10/sol10-2011-03-04/sol10_1.vmdk it's 258 G

which such a big difference in backup time?

Or is there a "delta mechanism" existing? I must admit the sol10.vmdk was backed-up last week and it was the first time the sol10_1.vmdk was backed-up. Tonight a new backup will run and both should be taken into account again...

Thanks,

Johnny

• 5. Re: Not all vmdk's backed up
                  reusensj Lurker

Hi William,

sorry to come back on this but there is definitely something going wrong.

Every weekly the script gives a different output for one of my VM's (sol10).

There are the 2 vmdk's: sol10.vmdk and sol10_1.vmdk.

One week it takes hours to back-up sol10.vmdk and 0 minutes to backup sol10_1.vmdk

Another week it takes 0 minutes to back-up sol10.vmdk and hours to backup sol10_1.vmdk

Yet another week it takes hours to back-up sol10.vmdk and hours to backup sol10_1.vmdk. This I would consider normal.

This week it took 0 minutes to back-up sol10.vmdk and and 0 minutes to backup sol10_1.vmdk

In all cases there is no error indication in the log/

Taking a closer look at this weeks situaton, when I look at the datastore of the sol10 machine, the backup datastore and the filesystem inside the VM:

1) the datastore browser indicates:

[datastore3] sol10

- sol10.vmdk: Virtual Disk 268.435.500

- sol10_1.vmdk:Virtual Disk 268.435.500

2) the backup goes to a datastore mounted via NFS but in dicates a much smaller size:

[VM-Backups] VMWARE_BACKUPS/sol10/sol10-2013-02-22--1

- sol10.vmdk: Virtual Disk 80.512,00 KB

- sol10_1.vmdk:Virtual Disk 2.816,00 KB

3) Doing inside the VM a df -kh, I get a view on the acual sizes and usage:

/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s7      191G   152G    38G    81%    /export/home

/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s2      246G    47G   197G    20%    /mnt/data1

So in any case the fileystem uses 152 G and the second uses 47 G, but the backup shows only 80 G and 2,3 G respectively.

I have another VM with 2 filesystems and observe similar strange behaviour.

The backups for VM's with 1 filesystem seem to be OK.

What could be the problem?

Greetings,

Johnny