VMware Horizon Community
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you use VDI with less than 25 Windows VMs? (KMS 25 count issue)

Hi,

Is it possible to deploy VDI for Windows 7 in an environment with less than 25 VMs? I'm no expert in Windows 7 KMS but I see the following issues.

- Customer has 20 ThinClients (hence requires 20 VDA licenses)

- KMS requires 25 machines requesting activation before it will activate any

- View only supports KMS licensing

Does this mean if I have less than 25 VMs I can't use Windows 7 and View?

OR as Windows is licensed on a per client device basis for VDI (MS VDA licenses) could I get around this by having 25 virtual Windows 7 guests deployed but only buy 20 clients VDA licenses?....or does KMS require you to buy at least 25 licenses to work??

Pete

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Peter Grant CTO Xtravirt.com
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Peter.

As I see it there are two ways around that, either deploy more then 25 machines in a "temp-pool" before starting your "production-pool" to get activation started or use a MAK-key and change this registry setting on the View composer to skip activation:

HKLMsystem/CurrentControlSet/services/vmware-viewcomposer-ga/SkipLicenseActivation to '1'

That means that you have to activate each machine manually after provisioning.

// Joel

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".