VMware Cloud Community
Highspeedlane
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 4.1 Update 1 Tutorials or Advice

We have a single ESXi 4.1 installation, (no vCenter Server) and are looking to find the relevant tutorial or advice here for upgrading to ESXi 4.1 Update 1. I have downloaded the correct update .zip file (" " 4.1-4.1Update01.zip) and downloaded the vSphere Upgrade Guide, but I don't have the experience with ESXi to fully comprehend this process even after searching for info.

I believe at this point I have to uppack the .zip file on the ESXi server (can we use WinSCP for this?) and use the vihostupdate command line utility (can't seem to find the command options for this process).

If someone has a link to the step by step tutorial for the above scenario or believe it's simple enough to outline here, your help is greatly appreciated. Apologies again for the noob questions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No need to unzip the file. While the officially supported method to update a single host is to use vihostupdate (for a walkthrough, see e.g. Installing ESXi 4.1 Update 1 with the vihostupdate utility) you may also want to take a look at Patching ESXi 4.1 with the vSphere Host Update Utility

André

0 Kudos