VMware Cloud Community
zzit123
Contributor
Contributor

Adding a second Physical HDD

Hello,

I just installed vmware esxi on an IBM x3250 server with two removable drive bays. My question is, is there a way to get vmware to recognize the second hard drive in the second bay as well as the one running the vmware host server OS? An option we would like to explore would be to implement raid mirroring on the second drive for redundancy but we can't unless there is a way to use both bays some how. Any suggestions/instructions?

Thank You in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

You can do RAID 1 mirroring before installing VMware ESXi, the hardware based RAID 1. This way if 1 of your hard disk goes bad you can still continue with your second one.

nikhil

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESX(i) only supports hardware RAID. If the server does have the hardware RAID option you would need to establish the mirroring before installing. For performance you will also want to make sure you add the battery backed RAID cache module. Disk performance will be dismal with out it.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

If you're adding new disks and want to add them to the ESX as datatsore, you could try this:

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/02/09/adding-datastores-to-esxi-hosts-that-have-already-been-built/

good luck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos