VMware Cloud Community
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Virtualizating Big Servers...

Hi guys

This is not the first time I thought about this...but now I a real deployment o design...

Do you recommend virtualize serve that utilize 22GB RAM - average 80% utilization and 32GB RAM servers with 80% utilization and right now they have 8 Cores Total....

I see kinda difficult to virtualize these servers since I think they are very restricted for HA for instance since I will need real horse power server to virtualize the servers above and their brother which are 4 - 8 GB RAM  utilization rati

thanks a lot.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DCjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

I have seen 48GB of RAM on VMs. The host should be configured with large amount of RAM atleast 128GB of RAM.

The VMs will beenfit alot from VMWare HA and DRS.

Jay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
briwag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've ran into this and while I can never convince people otherwise I still thinks it makes sense to virtualize these type of systems.

If you have the hardware and licenses available. then having the ability to vMotion the machine in the case of an outage or hardware upgrade you can gain that extra uptime. The way I see it, anything virtualized with VMware just gives you more options when something comes up.

DCjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

I have seen 48GB of RAM on VMs. The host should be configured with large amount of RAM atleast 128GB of RAM.

The VMs will beenfit alot from VMWare HA and DRS.

Jay

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Agreed.  You're still getting the benefits of virtualization.  So the same thing applies to the big servers, as the smaller servers.  If you have the resources, then it's good to get them in a format that lends itself to services provided by virtualization, ha/dr, hardware independence, snapshots, etc.

Wouldn't you want the servers you really can't lose to be in a format that you can easily recover in case of a failure?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB