VMware Horizon Community
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Designate VLAN for linked clones on a trunk interface

Hi All,

I am doing a View pilot program using 4.6 and linked clones. I have one server (small pilot) for everything (vcenter, connection server, clients). I have configured an interface on the server as a TRUNK so I can have desktop VMs on different VLANs. How do I configure View (or the base desktop image) to put the pools/clients on the VLANs I want them on?

For example, desktop-pool1 I want on VLAN 10, desktop-pool2 I want on VLAN 11.

The base desktop I created I put on VLAN 10, but the VMs (created from the replica) are putting themselves on VLAN 11.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseabrooke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to create port groups for each VLAN.  Next go to your parent image and change nic to the port group you just created and recompose.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rseabrooke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to create port groups for each VLAN.  Next go to your parent image and change nic to the port group you just created and recompose.

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

create port groups,  while doing so specify your vlan.  from there you can use dhcp to hand out addresses based on the vlan of the port group you join the virtual desktops to.

0 Kudos
cmacmillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Mike,

What you are attempting is valid. Are you linked to a snapshot of the base image VM AFTER you change the port group? In other words, your base image will not be the same for both pools. Is it possible that you changed the VLAN of the base image to VLAN11 before creating the snapshot for desktop-pool1???

The image VM for desktop-pool1 must be on VLAN10 prior to the base image snapshot used for desktop-pool1. Likewise, the base image of desktop-pool2 must be on VLAN11 before taking the base image snapshot used for desktop-pool2. In both cases, the resultant VM's must still be able to communicate with both the destination client and the VMware View Manager (i.e. firewall, routing rules allowing VLAN11 and VLAN10 to communicate with those devices).

-- Collin C. MacMillan, VCP4
Cisco CCNA/CCNP, Nexenta CNE
VMware vExpert 2010
SOLORI - Solution Oriented, LLC
http://blog.solori.net

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Collin C. MacMillan, VCP4/VCP5 VCAP-DCD4 Cisco CCNA/CCNP, Nexenta CNE VMware vExpert 2010-2012 SOLORI - Solution Oriented, LLC http://blog.solori.net If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
cmacmillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This all assumes that the pNIC's carry both VLAN10 and VLAN11 information, of course. It also assumes that your portgroups for VLAN10 and VLAN11 are tagged/untagged corresponding to your physical Switch trunking configuration. Tagged VLANs are indicated by inserting the VLAN number in the VLAN control of the port group. Untagged VLANs are indicated by inserting a 0 in the VLAN control of the port group.

Let's assume that your VLAN trunk lines from your physical switch have VLAN11 untagged (0 in the VLAN control) and VLAN10 tagged (10 in the VLAN control of the port group), then had you left the port group for VLAN10 undesignated (default to 0) then your VLAN10 port group would actually be on VLAN11 because no VLAN designation would exist and the default (untagged) would prevail.

Cheers!

Collin C. MacMillan, VCP4/VCP5 VCAP-DCD4 Cisco CCNA/CCNP, Nexenta CNE VMware vExpert 2010-2012 SOLORI - Solution Oriented, LLC http://blog.solori.net If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos