VMware Cloud Community
GreyhoundHH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 4.1 upgrade to "Update 1"

Hi all,

I want to upgrade on of our vCenters from version 4.1 to "4.1 Update 1". But when I start the installer, there's not a word that it'll perform an upgrade and I have to provide the DSN, login information, ports and everything. From all previous upgrades I remember, that the installer showed information about already installed components which can be upgraded.

So is this the correct way to perform the upgrade?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

We can assume the install files are mounted to the vCenter Server?  You should be prompted to upgrade your instance.

0 Kudos
GreyhoundHH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not using the ISO but the zip-version of the install media. The sources are copied and unzipped onto the filesystem of the vCenter.

0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102214...

it helps you to understand the correct way to upgrade with the zip file.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried to use the ISO instead?  If vCenter is a VM, you can mount the ISO to the VM, or you could burn the ISO onto a DVD.

Also, when running the setup, your vCenter Server Service should be running

0 Kudos
GreyhoundHH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@alefestaedist

I'm having trouble updating the vCenter, not an ESX server...

0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry me, I've checked now .with the zip version when you launch the autorun it tell you that you are upgrading the version and wont' let you continue if you dont'accept

0 Kudos
GreyhoundHH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, it worked that way. I was just hesitating, because I remembered the Upgrade process being different in earlier versions. Now you have to upgrade vCenter, vSphere client and Update Manager in single steps, while this was usually performed automatically. Or am I wrong?

Thanks anyway for the input.

0 Kudos