VMware Cloud Community
me255
Contributor
Contributor

vswitch : Bridging physical NICs ?

Hello,

Here is my confiugration (all hosts are vSphere 4.1):

Guest1 ----- vswitch --- vSphere1/vnic1 ---- vnic1/vSphere2 ------ vswitch ---- Guest2

|

---------- vSphere1/vnic2 ---- vnic1/vSphere3 ------ vswitch ---- Guest3

When configured this way (vsphere1 cross-connected with vsphere2 & vsphere3), My guest machine can only ping either Guest2 or Guest3 as by default multiple nics are used as HA devices.

I'd like to bridge vSphere1/vnic1 and vSphere1/vnic2 to be able to access both vSphere2 and vSphere3 and I wonder if this is possible ? :smileyconfused:

Thank you in advance for any pointer or solution.

Denis

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

wow im confussed

are you using cross over cables?

I would seriously invest in a switch or 2, you can get 8 port gigabit on the cheap fo like 50 bucks these days if not less. whant HA get 2

That way you would have

Physical switch --------- vSphere1/nic1 ------ vswitch ---- Guest1

|                --------- vSphere2/nic1 ------ vswitch ---- Guest2

|                --------- vSphere3/nic1 ------ vswitch ---- Guest3

|

|

|

Physical switch --------- vsphere1/nic2 ------ vswitch ---- Guest1

--------- vSphere2/nic2 ------ vswitch ---- Guest2

--------- vSphere3/nic2 ------ vswitch ---- Guest3

this way everything can talk to everything

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager
me255
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the answer.

Before buying a switch, I wanted to know if that was possible. It seems not unfortunately...

Using crossover cables was in fact a nice way to have a private network (vmotion net).

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - crossover cables work fine when dealing with 2 ESX hosts - the minute you move to three or more it makes sense to just get a small switch - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful