VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When should the vMA be installed??

Before or after installing ESXi to any of our servers??

Obviously I'm STILL learning about ESXi.

Thank you, Tom

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for us, we use vMA almost exclusively as our syslog server for ESXi.  If you don't have a syslog server, this may be a good reason to deploy vMA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vMA is not required for ESXi to function and won't offer much help until ESXi is installed.

As such, ESX(i) first.

It is also not a core tool, but rather something you use to extend your administration toolset. I know many admins who never bother installing one at all and get along OK without.

further info at : http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vima/

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for us, we use vMA almost exclusively as our syslog server for ESXi.  If you don't have a syslog server, this may be a good reason to deploy vMA

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Isn't vMA required for PowerShell etc.??

I haven't determined whether to use vMA or Kiwi for ESX syslogging...comments anyone??

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

no, vMA is not required for PowerCLI.  As for a syslog server, We tried Kiwi, for us, it was just a bit easier to use vMA, plus vMA is free

Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

I recommend installing vMA first.  It's usually the first thing I setup when upgrading from a classic ESX environment to ESXi.  Using the OVF makes installing it a no-brainer.

As noted, vMA is optional.  You can do everything you need remotely using vCenter and/or SSH, or localy with the ESXi Direct Console User Interface (DCUI). However, it seems inevitable that shortly after installing your first ESXi server the question gets asked "I used to logon to the COS and run command X, how do I do that now that I'm on ESXi?".  And the easy answer is to use the vCLI.

The real value I find with using the vCLI is (1) it's pretty much the same CLI I'm used to (has some new options for authentication, but commands are mostly the same), (2) I can run CLI commands against multiple ESX hosts at a time, and (3) it's very easy to check things quickly (espeically when working remote) as I don't have to open an RDP session to a desktop in the right subnet and startup the vSphere client.  I just putty to the vMA host and run commands.  Oh, and using it as a centralized syslog server is a great idea as well.

Hence, I recommend you install vMA first.  Note, for sake of full disclosure I come from a UNIX background I tend to navigate toward the CLI and the vCLI/vMA is very UNIX like opposed to PowerShell.

HTH,

-Kyle

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Kyle,

I apologize I can't give you points for your response...the best answer of all. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos