VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

safe to install U1 over HP ESXi installation??

I'm preparing to install ESXi to a new DL360 G7 server with the HP "branded" ESXi 4.1 installer from December 2010.

1. Is it safe to install the new U1 over this installation or should I avoid U1 until HP makes a 4.1 U1 installer??

2. Is the offline NMI bundle still required to be installed??

Thank you, Tom

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

An HP installer will only have an install or repair option.  You'll be able to use this update from VMware, but you'll also want to look for updates to CIM - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=37... - and NMI on HP's site.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The link you provided sent me to a file older than the most current HP ESXi installer, which is December 2010. Smiley Happy

My understanding is that HP updates the CIM providers within their installer each time they release a new version.

I'm not so sure about the NMI bundle, I don't understand why it is  not included in the HP installer, but I did discover elsewhere that HP  apparently did figure out how to make it usable with VUM so one can  install it as soon as the host is brought into vCenter.

Your comment about install or repair -- does this mean I must every time HP releases an update RE-install ESXi to my servers??

Even with only three servers, repeated re-installs are a pain when ESXi is on USB sticks, not hard disks.

Or maybe I am missing something -- the repair option is also an updater??

I'd really like to run U1 so I can make new Win2k8 R2 SP1 templates...

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

> Your comment about install or repair -- does this mean I must every time HP releases an update RE-install ESXi to my servers?? If you rely on the HP image your only option is install or repain which you don't want to do.  So you'll want to use the VMware patches and update CIM / NMI with other updates.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert

I have updated HP hosts running the HP provided ESXi 4.1 install via Update Manager to 4.1U1, without any issue. All hosts report correct data under the Hardware Status tab, and there were no errors during remediation or on the host's logs.

So far HP has not released any "custom" version of 4.1U1.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Mackopes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll second this procedure.

Essentially the way it 'should' work:

1) Wait for updated CIM and NMI providers from HP that are certified for U1. This could also include updated NIC drivers also.

2) Install 'normal' U1 through Update manager.

3) Install updated CIM, NMI providers, and NIC drivers from HP.

4) End result should be equivalent to released HP Image.

With that said:

I have sucessfully simply upgraded to U1 over top of the existing HP image and things seem to be working, but if you were to ask HP, my suspicion is they would say to wait until they have released all the proper 'parts and pieces' that can be integrated.

AK

0 Kudos