VMware {code} Community
jake_robinson_b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vApp PowerOff and Shutdown URIs do not work as expected

POSTing to the poweroff or shutdown URIs of a vApp results in the virtual machine being "Partially Powered Off" and the vApp is "running."

In the API, the VM and vApp show status "8" (powered off) and the VM show Powered Off in vCenter.

When I click the STOP button of the VM in the vCD gui, the VM and vApp stop, and both report as "stopped."

So, it appears that the poweroff and shutdown URIs are misnomers? Is this a feature or a bug?

Jake Robinson VCP, vExpert - geekafterfive.com - Twitter: @jakerobinson
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
cwemhoff
Contributor
Contributor

You have to issue both a powerOff (or shutdown) command and an undeploy command to the vm in order for it to be fully powered off (it will show powered off in the vCloud Director web interface instead of Partially Powered off).

Once you've done that, you can then delete it from the vApp or do whatever else you need to with it.

jake_robinson_b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is incorrect. I can post to the poweroff URI of each of the VMs within the vApp, and it powers off the machines almost instantly. The vApp then also shows powered off without doing an undeploy.

You'd think this would be the same functionality of posting to the poweroff URI of the vApp, but that is not the case.

0 Kudos
cwemhoff
Contributor
Contributor

I did post the the VM object, and experienced the condition where if I only posted to the powerOff URL, then it would show as "partially power off" in the vCloud director web interface and I couldn't delete the item with a recomposeVApp post.

If I posted an undeploy to the VM object, I could then post to recomposeVApp and it would delete the VM from the vApp.

I would have expected the results you state, but that is not what I experienced.

0 Kudos
jake_robinson_b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone?

0 Kudos
kithokit
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same problem, do you get the solution?

0 Kudos
jake_robinson_b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Kinda...

There is the concept of power state, but also the concept of deployment state. The languange in the GUI does not elude to deployment, but only refers to the power state concept.

Basically:

GUI SaysAPI Says
Powered OnDeployed + Powered On
Partially Powered OffDeployed + Powered Off
Powered OffUndeployed + Powered Off
0 Kudos