VMware Cloud Community
woter324
Contributor
Contributor

Monitor performance / throughput of NFS network card

Hi,

I have two ESX hosts with a dedicated physical NIC, vSwitch and VMKernel for NFS, connected to a dedicated switch, connected to our NetApp filer.

I am trying to use vSphere Client to show me the throughput (data received rate & data transmit rate), for the dedicated physical NIC (vmnic5)

In vSphere client, I select a host, click the performace tab, click Advanced, switch to: Network. I look down the perfomance chart for vmnic5 and all values are 0. What gives? How do I see how much data is being transmitted through this NIC?

Insidently, does anyone have any advice on how many NICs each host should have when using NFS as shared storage for VMDKs?

Many thanks

A

0 Kudos
2 Replies
msatya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

please user some small utility to monitor LAN interface

-------------------------
please award points if you see fit.Thankshttp://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vbsmile.png

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

woter324 wrote:

Hi,

I have two ESX hosts with a dedicated physical NIC, vSwitch and VMKernel for NFS, connected to a dedicated switch, connected to our NetApp filer.

I am trying to use vSphere Client to show me the throughput (data received rate & data transmit rate), for the dedicated physical NIC (vmnic5)

Is it possible to reach the NetApp filer through an IP address available on any other vSwitch on your host? That is, do you have a dedicated IP range for NFS?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos