VMware Cloud Community
daveclaussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

File for update from 4.1 to 4.1u1 failed to upload to Update Manager

Upon trying to upload the 4.1 to 4.1u1 update (update-from-esx4.1-4.1_update01.zip) to my Update Manager server, I receive the following error:

Filename:      update-from-esx4.1-4.1_update01.zip

Failed to import data.

Cannot verify checksum for imported upgrade file. This might be caused by corrupted

metadata or binaries in the file.  You can try to import a ne copy of the upgrade file.

I have downloaded this ZIP file twice and each time the MD5 checked OK.  I even made a new copy of the file - same thing.

What next my good people?

ESX v 4.1

vCenter v 4.1 update 1

Update Manager v 4.1.0.6589

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there is no need to upload the upgrade bundle.  Just set up a Host patch baseline, this will include 4.1U1.  Attach to cluster or host, scan and remediate.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

there is no need to upload the upgrade bundle.  Just set up a Host patch baseline, this will include 4.1U1.  Attach to cluster or host, scan and remediate.

0 Kudos
daveclaussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy.  That is what I will do.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dave is right.  I've been seeing this in various tests since downloading the bundles last night and am in the process of writing a blog post about it.

The two upgrade bundle .zip files which upgrade ESXi 4.1 to 4.1u1 and ESX 4.1 to 4.1u1 fail to import into VMware Update Manager.

The two upgrade bundle .zip files which upgrade ESXi 4.0 to 4.1u1 and ESX 4.0 to 4.1u1 successfully import into VMware Update Manager.

Although the workaround suggested to create a baseline and forcing VUM to download the bundle from VMware's repository will work, it doesn't excuse the fact that the two upgrade bundles fail to import.  There is a problem.

Jas

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I fully agree there is a problem, and I believe this "bug" has been there since 4.0.  I've just given up trying to upload the media since there is a work around.

Unable to import VMware ESX 4.1, Patch ESX410-Update01 in brand new vCenter

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That may very well be Troy. I've not really used or tested upgrade bundles up until this point.  Thanks for the heads up.  VMware has let me know via Twitter they are looking into this issue now.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
jasper9890
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Support here, It appears the problem is that this is an Update release that needs to be imported via the configuraiton->Patch Download Settings section of the VUM gui and not the Upgrade baseline flow.   Does that make sense?    On this page you can click "import patches" to pop up the correct page to prompt for this offline bundle.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So we need to be able to dissect VMware's ambiguous terminology to determine where the .zip file goes: Upgrade versus Update versus Patch.  Got it.

To help me out, could VMware maybe be consistent with terminology on the download page?  All I see is the word Upgrade associated with these .zip files, Therefore, it was my understanding that all the .zip files displayed were Upgrades, could be imported as an Upgrade file, and would be remediated with the use of an Upgrade Baseline in VUM.

Regarding your comment of revoking my VCDX over this, I don't think that's fair.  Upgrade versus Update versus Patch wasn't on the test.  But I'm pretty sure one cannot upgrade ESX from ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 4.1 Update 1.

http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1697903-55756/2-11-2011%205-56-24%20PM.png

0 Kudos
smile4all26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From VMWare here,this is not a bug.Upgrade from 4,1 to 4.1u1 using the zip file is not supported via upgrade baseline.You should try importing the 4.1 to 4.1 u1 zip package   via the Configuration->Patch Download Settings --> Import patches link create a “Host Patches” baseline, attach that baseline to the hosts and remediate your hosts it should work

0 Kudos