2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 1:34 AM by Jogarem

Linux Management Services (VAMI)?!

Jogarem Enthusiast

Hello,

I want to start using the 'Linux Management Services' - feature coming with VMware Studio.

I have created my own linux magement service with the help of eclipse.

My problem is when I import the service in Studio (clicking at "Import Service" button)  then the service is imported - well that's what I expect, of course

But: When I have made a newer version of my service (the version number changed of course) I can import it again but Studio do not detect that this is an updated version of my service and place the same service again. Now I have two (and more  when adding more) services with different version numbers.

Please see attached screen for an example:

vami.png

So my question is:

Is that a bug or a feature ?

I can understand when this is an expected behaviour because this can be a really nice feature or even a requirement when trying to build an older appliance version to reproduce something - so the old bounded service is needed, too.

----

If this is the expected behaviour than it would be necessary to group that somehow. When we have 10 different management services and each of them has over 30 versions the Studio GUI will "explode" or at least be very hard to read.

So when you tell me that services cannot be replaced this way than it is ok for me and I will open a feature request for a 'group feature' at my FR issue discussion, of course

added as FR #028 to the FR list..

----

My second question is about a line in the Studio developer guide:

You must manually increment the version of an application package if you want it to replace the old package 
      during an appliance update.

What does that mean? And how? Maybe that's only a hint that I need to re-add the newer service version to my Studio profile but I'm not sure..

How are updates handled when I remove the older management service in the profile and add the newer version? Will my appliances receive this as an update or not? and what is to do when not and I want to do that?

As always any help and ideas welcome!

Thomas

• 1. Re: Linux Management Services (VAMI)?!
          provision Hot Shot
          VMware Employees

Importing a management service to Studio simply means bringing in a version of the files, required to run your custom service within the VAMI framework, into Studio in a way that:

- that version of the custom service can be selected to be included in your build profile

- the files are in a right directory structure for Studio to dynamically package up and include in your appliance provisioning.

You will find a directory for your custom service under /opt/vmware/var/lib/build/services/ with sub-directories of all the different versions of files that were imported. Importing a service is basically creating this directory structure. So, grouping is already in place at this level. For the Studio web interface, yes you could certainly add that to the enhancement request list. If you ever need to clean up some of the older versions of the files for your service, simply delete the dirs of those relevant versions.

As for the update question, all the management services (default and your custom ones) selected in your build profile will be put into individual rpm/deb packages (by Studio) to be installed in your end appliance. The VAMI update feature is working at the package level, i.e. during update it simply compares all the pkgs that were installed in the appliance versus those in the update repository and install all the non-existence pkgs as well as upgrade the older pkgs, including the service pkgs.

Based on the above, if you have a newer version of your custom service that you want your older appliance to be able to upgrade to (provided that the older appliance already has the VAMI update feature enabled),  naturally you want to import the service into Studio with a newer version number so that you could then select it to build the newer appliance and update repository, and a newer version of your custom pkg would then be available to be used for update. Those service pkgs composed by Studio do include some default post-install scripts so that they could be upgraded accordingly.

Hope the above helps. Give it a try.

• 2. Re: Linux Management Services (VAMI)?!
            Jogarem Enthusiast

Leong,

many thanks for your helpful answers!

Thanks

Thomas