VMware Horizon Community
brumer020111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare View 4.5 "Configuration Error" and GPO settings

Didnt have anywhere else to post this so I figured Id put it on here. The infrastructure in discussion is running vSphere 4.1 and View 4.5, and using Windows 2008 and Windows 7, with IPv6 disabled.

I kept on getting 'configuration error' when applying my Windows 7 GPO to the desktop VMs (also Windows 7). When I took the policy off, everything worked as its supposed to. Every log I looked at on the View Server and Desktop VM, including VMWare logs and Windows logs, showed that everything was working fine. The VM would start fine, but in View Administrator it would show a status of 'starting' for about 10 minutes and then switch to 'configuration error.'

After days of troubleshooting I found that the Group Policy applied to the machine can not have the following value enforced:

"ISATAP State" can not be set to Enabled>Disabled under "Computer Settings\Administrative Templates\Network\TCPIP Settings\IPv6 Transition Technologies"

And just for the record, other documents I found also said that the RDP service has to be enabled (even though Im using PCoIP -whats with that!!?) and the View Server's computer account has to have 'Access this computer from the network' rights in the GPO being applied to the Virtual Desktop.

Hope this helps somebody in the future...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem. Fixed it by opening port 4001 on the desktop vm.

Set-Annotation -CustomAttribute "The Impossible" -Value "Done and that makes us mighty"
0 Kudos