VMware Horizon Community
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

overlapping pc names in two desktop pools

I am running vm view 4.5 and have a potential problem with overlapping pc names from two desktop pools.

Two pool's one which currently has10 pc’s with the naming convention set to TYV and my second pool with 80 PC’s with the naming convention set to TYV1.

I have ran into the problem I should have foreseen at the beginning  with my naming convention and was wondering is there any way out of this mistake.

I have a need to increase the pool size from 10 to 15 but because of the PC naming in the first pool I cannot go above 10 because it will try to create a PC called TYV11 which already exists in the second pool.

Does anyone know a good way of increasing my first pool size?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes. The settings will be only applied to newly provisioned VMs. If you want to change the existing VM name thn do following:

For dedicated pools: Archive first 10 Vm's persistent Disk and recreate.

For floating pool: Apply 'delete after logoff' option and ask first 10 users to logout. Once all the Vms are deleted then change back the settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Edit the pool , Go to provisioning settings and change the naming pattern to a fixed number

The unique number can be made a fixed length. (For example: vm-{n:fixed=3}-sales).

So change to TYV-{n:fixed=3} This will ensure that next name will start from TYV011 onwards

0 Kudos
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

will the original pc's 0 -10 keep their names and any new pc's take on the new naming convention?

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes. The settings will be only applied to newly provisioned VMs. If you want to change the existing VM name thn do following:

For dedicated pools: Archive first 10 Vm's persistent Disk and recreate.

For floating pool: Apply 'delete after logoff' option and ask first 10 users to logout. Once all the Vms are deleted then change back the settings.

0 Kudos