VMware Communities
avery1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

moving a VM between Mac and Windows

I have a windows 7 guest VM sitting on Mac OS 10.6, using VMware fusion 3.0.

Is the guest VM file portable, such that I could take it to a windows-based host running VMware (workstation, I assume)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> What would be the advantage of doing the export as an OVF instead of  just copying over the file for the VM

There is no advantage unless you get paid per hour - exporting via ovf takes 3 steps - copying the complete directory or package is just one step

via ovf:
1. export to ovf
2. copy via network or portable disk to new host
3.import from ovf

without ovf
1. copy via network or portable disk to new host

before you start the VM first time - open vmx-file with notepad and adjust MAC-typical paths to Windows-style

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - yes it is - I would export it out of fusion as an OVF and then import into VMware workstation or even ESX/VMware Server/player  for that matter

If you find this or any other answer helpful please consider awarding points

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
avery1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks David. What would be the advantage of doing the export as an OVF instead of just copying over the file for the VM -- or is this a required step?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is a way to manually move it over but I always forget the steps - exporting to OVF and then importing it into workstation works so smothly - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
avery1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alright, thanks.

I know that I can currently copy VMs between my desktop and laptop without any issues, but given the product and platform change, it sounds like the export is a no-brainer.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I know that I can currently copy VMs between my desktop and laptop without any issue

This method will work just as well, as the hosted platforms can move between each other just fine.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> What would be the advantage of doing the export as an OVF instead of  just copying over the file for the VM

There is no advantage unless you get paid per hour - exporting via ovf takes 3 steps - copying the complete directory or package is just one step

via ovf:
1. export to ovf
2. copy via network or portable disk to new host
3.import from ovf

without ovf
1. copy via network or portable disk to new host

before you start the VM first time - open vmx-file with notepad and adjust MAC-typical paths to Windows-style

0 Kudos
avery1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys -- very helpful.

0 Kudos
Zorroson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry about hijacking this thread, but how about the other way around?

Being a virgin Mac owner, I would like to know if can move my Windows VMWare Workstation 7 guests (a mix of WinXP, 2K3 and W7 guests) to VMWare Fusion on Mac OS 10.6?

From what I can tell in VMWare Workstation 7, I can export my Virtual Machines as OVF packages - will/should they work in VMware Fusion after import?

Cheers,

Zorroson Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no need to export to OVF and all you need to do is literally copy the VM to the Mac and execute the .vmx (VMware virtual machine configuration) file.  You also can add a .vmwarevm extension to each folder that contains a single Virtual Machine to turn it into a Document Package so it will act and handle like a normal default file based Virtual Machine created by VMware Fusion, although it's not necessary to add the extension to use Virtual Machines created under other VMware Desktop Products.

0 Kudos
Zorroson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds very, very nice! Thanx for the prompt response!

Cheers,

Zorroson Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mmarofsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will this affect the Windows Licensing?

I have noticed lately that, depending on which PC/MAC I run a VM from, the hardware can change, which can mess with Win7 licensing.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It mostly depends on your CPU in the host, if the CPU is considerably different then your Windows VM might consider that a big change.

Also note that you _always_ should select "move" and not "copy" on the question "Did you move or copy the VM?" that you get when opening the VM for the first time as otherwise your VM will get a new set of hardware ID's.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

And one other things - shut down (not suspect) the VM, and remove any snapshots before moving.

0 Kudos
mmarofsky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.  Would be nice if a virtual machine really was virtual and not tied so much to the host.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There's no way to do that - the CPU and memory dump created in a suspended VM is specific to the host OS and physical platform.

You can preserve snapshots taken when the VM is shut down completely, but that can be fiddly and take a long time to process (after deleting the running ones).

0 Kudos