VMware Communities
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

XP hung, now fusion won't release devices.. ?

I have Fusion 3.1.2 and was very  happy, performance seemed much better.  But yesterday, my XP hung and so  I suspended the VM, to deal with it later when I had more time.  Unfortunately the VM never came back up, and eventually I had to  "Rollback".  Now I am getting the following message:

MAC  address 00:0C:29:5C:87:AB of

adapter Ethernet0 is within the  reserved

address range or is in use by another

virtual  adapter on your system

Adapter Ethernet0 may not have network  connectivey

I also get a  message that the cdrom drive is used as well. It seem like fusiion  thinks the OLD VM is still running.  Does anyone know how to clean up  fusion/my XP VM so that it allows my rolled back VM to get access to the devices  it should have.

Thanks

Eric

Community.... upload 1 .. download 10.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

With VMware Fusion closed, execute "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool" and then attach the resultant ~/Desktop/vm-*.tgz file to a reply post.

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Attached is the tarfile you requested.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I would try the following...

1. Delete the Network Adapter in the Virtual Machines Settings and then add it back.

2. In the CDs & DVDs Settings set it to Automatically detect physical CD/DVD and uncheck the Connected check box.

Also I see that you have 2 processor cores set under Processors and RAM settings and on a MacBook Pro this will normally degrade performance and unless you're running an application in the Virtual Machine that really takes advantage of 2 cores I'd set this to 1 processor core.

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks.. gave both of those a try, neither one worked.   I suspect they must keep an active table of what devices are used

within fusion itself and somehow i've got  leftover entries in however it keeps track of these things.

I will update this thread when I get an answer, the reason my VM hung was I ended up plugging into a 32 cinimea display

and fusion kept giving me a "3D Device Error" message and wouldn't let me get back to XP.   So I suspect I will have to see

if there is a bug filed against fusion for that as well.

sigh.. and it was soo fast.

Thanks for the tip on the 1 cpu,  set it to 1, we will see if that makes my fusion faster when I get my OS fixed. =).

Eric

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Reboot the MacBook Pro.

Check the VMwareXP.vmx file and make sure that the ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:5c:87:ab" line has either been changed to a different MAC Address and if not manually change the last hex number from ab to something else between 00 and FF.

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

That worked for the network, which is great, I can now boot XP and I have netowrk again.  I changed the last two digits

and then answered "moved VM" when it prompted me on boot.  That did the trick for the network device.

The CDROM unfortunately still gives me a warning, I removed the cdrom with the VM off, and then shutdown fusion. Then

added the device with autoselect. It found it but gives me the "device alread in use" message.

Thanks again.

Eric

0 Kudos