VMware Performance Community
bcblaketpa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Non-compliant runs from DS2 systems and pre-built DS2DB template without database?

After a lot of work (mainly struggling with Windows since I'm a UNIX guy: errors with Exchange 2007 not starting hub transport because IPv6 was disabled, STAF refusing connections on W2K8 because of Windows Firewall, and other problem I'll post separately about regarding the DB restores that occur on the OlioDB, OlioWeb, DS2Web* and DS2DB systems where I had to edit the xml file cd to root dir) I finally was able to run a number of tests on 1, 2 and 3 tiles.

However I'm seeing some weird behavior with the DS2DB system.

First, the pre-built template does NOT contain a database... you have to go through the guide to create it (Page 121)... I lost at least a day diagnosing a non-compliant run that showed 0's for all DS2 stuff and it was because I had thought there was a database (there is for Olio) but there isn't, and the scripts just go along their way (even though the DS2DB restore specifically shows an error stating that the DS2 database does not exist)... it would have been nice to have that in the documentation unless I'm missing something (please do tell if I am).

Second, I've had some compliant and non-compliant results due to QoS numbers on the DS2DB. I started trying to debug with MySQL to see what could be the problem and it seems to be related to the CUST_HIST table within DS2. Sometimes it will take 2 minutes to do the reload (at the beginning of the test) of the DS2DB (running ConfigServer_DS2db.sh), other times it could take 20-30 minutes. Usually when the reloads are quick, the test results are compliant... when the reload takes a long time, I get non-compliant test scores due to the QoS metrics (slightly over 500).

I've tried re-cloning systems, and moving them to differerent storage but I can't find a pattern at this point.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jamesz08
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

pg 55, step 4.  You need to create the database after setting up the template.  The VM is too big to distribute with a prebuilt DB.

The restore will take about 20-30 minutes if you have a dirty DB from a full 3 hour run (the bulk of that time is in the CUST_HIST table).  I have spent a LOT of time trying to speed this up without success (only solution seems to be using MySQL 5.1 with partitions, planned for a future release). It will take ~2 minutes if the DB is already clean.

What is your storage for the DS2 DB? It is fairly disk intensive.

What do you get if you run just a single web frontend manually?

ds2webdriver --target=<DS2webA> --n_threads=10 --db_size=20GB --think_time=0.085

Also check to make sure you haven't run out of disk space on the DB VM.  This can happen if you run for a long time or do multiple runs without restoring.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jamesz08
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

pg 55, step 4.  You need to create the database after setting up the template.  The VM is too big to distribute with a prebuilt DB.

The restore will take about 20-30 minutes if you have a dirty DB from a full 3 hour run (the bulk of that time is in the CUST_HIST table).  I have spent a LOT of time trying to speed this up without success (only solution seems to be using MySQL 5.1 with partitions, planned for a future release). It will take ~2 minutes if the DB is already clean.

What is your storage for the DS2 DB? It is fairly disk intensive.

What do you get if you run just a single web frontend manually?

ds2webdriver --target=<DS2webA> --n_threads=10 --db_size=20GB --think_time=0.085

Also check to make sure you haven't run out of disk space on the DB VM.  This can happen if you run for a long time or do multiple runs without restoring.

0 Kudos
bcblaketpa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Doh, another bonehead move on my part... totally missed step 4.

Understood, and yes, from a dirty DB that's what I do see... I had thought the clean process may in some way be related to the non-compliant runs where they miss the QoS.

The DB VM mount point /var/lib/mysql is getting close:

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2              8981488   1323400   7201844  16% /
udev                   1960636       104   1960532   1% /dev
/dev/sdb1             36116556  31076004   3205932  91% /var/lib/mysql
/dev/sdc1             20635700     61956  19525508   1% /mnt

And I just use the standard scripts with the test which I believe does the restore everytime at the beginning of the test.

Back-end storage is NetApp over NFS using dedicated 10GbE on both the filer and ESX hosts. I think jumbo frames are turned on but need to verify that.

It was just seeming a little weird that it was sproadic in that one run will be compliant and the next run, not so much. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the insight and help and I will try single web front end manually to see how it performs.

Brian

0 Kudos
jamesz08
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your diskspace looks fine.  The DB doesn't actually grow much if you restore after every run.

We haven't used NFS for VMmark 2 so it is entirely possible that it will require some additional tunings to achieve acceptable QoS.

0 Kudos
bcblaketpa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again for the information. I think we have tuned it as much as possible but I'll go through any additional best practices to make sure we didn't miss anything that could be causing any QoS problems. We also are using Akorri BalancePoint to monitor and report and it doesn't look like there are any bottlenecks at this point. I'm trying to see if related to the additional tiles as well.

0 Kudos