VMware Cloud Community
Anonymous
Not applicable

Evaluating Vmware Data Recovery - licensing issue

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Vmware vSphere 4.1 Standard from ESX 3.5. I divided the license key I received from Vmware (4 cpu) for the 2 virtual hosts (2 cpu) I'm using.

I wanted to evaluate Vmware Data Recovery so I downloaded a trial copy of Vmware vCenter. But when I want to schedule a backup in Vmware Data Recovery I get the message "one or more of the selected virtual machines are on an unlicensed host". But when I check my licenses in vCenter every virtual host is correctly licensed ?

Only vCenter is not licensed (evaluation mode). Do I need a trial license key for vCenter and where can I get one ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The Standard  edition does not include a license for "VMware Data Recovery", that's the reason for the message you get. With the Standard Edition, "VMware Data Recovery" is available as an "A la carte feature" though. You may need to ask a VMware partner or VMware representative for a trial license (Advanced or better) for the hosts.

For licensed features see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

André

PS: If you want, I can move your thread from the "Belgium VMware User Group" to the "VMware Data Recovery" forum. The people on this forum may be able to help or at least give you a hint on whom to contact.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification about the licensing !

Maybe Vmware could make the error message more explaining. I didn't suspect a licensing issue since I can manually make backups without any problem.

You can move my thread to the Data Recovery group.

0 Kudos