VMware Communities
Towlieee
Contributor
Contributor

Two users one PC at same time

I'm trying to use VMware workstation on my windows 7 x64 based machine, and use two keyboards and two mice at the same time.  I'm wanting to be able to play two PC games at the same time, one on the PC itself using the original mouse/keyboard, and second mouse/keyboard to use on a virtual machine.

I've followed this guide, http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=123452

I get to this point

"Go to removable devices and check the USB KB and Mouse for the second OS.
IF IT DOESN'T WORK. unplugged both and connect them both again at the same time.
The "Automatically connect new USB devices option" will connect them."

But the second mouse/keyboard does not work.  It doesn't do anything.  I've tried restarting the pc multiple times, I've tried unplugging and replugging my wireless usb sensor, nothing.

It works fine, until I go to VM>Removable Devices>And hit connect (disconnect from host) then the second mouse/keyboard quits doing anything, and wont do anything in the virtual machine.

Would be awesome to get this to work, I spent nearly $200 on this software just for this function.  If I can't get it work I have zero use for this software.

My pc is an AMD 3.4ghz quad core with 8gigs of memory, it's overclocked to 4.2ghz.  It has more then enough speed to run two games at once, hell I've ran 4 copies of world of warcraft before without issues, but that was just using one mouse/keyboard.

If I can get this to work, I plan on purchasing a second video card, just so I can have all the speed I'd ever need.  But right now I'm stuck.  I've spent hours and hours reading and trying to get this to work, and I'm at a stand still right now. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have moved this thread over to the VMware Workstation forum.  

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you have PS2 mouse and keyboard for the host ?

0 Kudos
Towlieee
Contributor
Contributor

It is a Ps2 keyboard, but a USB mouse.

Both 'mice' show up in the USB devices, and I can disable either one on the host, but they don't work exclusively in the virtual machine.

I haven't even tried playing with the keyboards, I was just trying to get the mouse to work first.

I ended up sucking it up, and got a used 2.8ghz amd x2, with 4 gigs of memory, onboard ati 3200 video for $135.  Going to add a video card and call it a day.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Take a look at A Power User's Guide to VMware Fusion, about 2/3 way down the sections on "USB HID" and "Two Computers In One."  Although it's for Fusion, the settings in there may help you modify your Workstation virtual machine.

0 Kudos