9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 6:38 AM by peter79

Need help with some cluster power shell scripts

peter79 Enthusiast

Guys,

I need help with 2 scripts.

Script 1.

I need a power shell script that will get all the VM's in a particular cluster.  Then output the VM names along with the number of CPU's, allocated RAM and allocated size to  CSV file.

Script 2.

I need a script that will get all the datastores in a particular cluster and output the datastore name along with the amounf of free space to a CSV file.

Thanks in advance guys.  

• 1. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
          mattboren Master
          vExpert

Greetings, @peter79-

For the first part:

Get-Cluster myClusterName | Get-VM | Select-Object Name, MemoryMB, NumCpu | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation c:\temp\myVMInfo.csv

And, for the second, how about:

Get-Cluster myClusterName | Get-VMHost | Get-Random | Get-Datastore | Select-Object name, FreeSpaceMB, CapacityMB | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation c:\temp\myDaterstoreInfo.csv

The first one would be quite a bit faster using Get-View instead of Get-VM.  It would be like:

## get an array of VM View objects with just the desired/needed properties
          $arrVMViews = Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -SearchRoot (Get-Cluster myClusterName).MoRef -Property Config.Hardware,Name
          ## make the two filters for displaying the desired info
          $hshCPUCountFilter = @{n="NumCPUs"; e={$_.Config.Hardware.NumCPU}}
          $hshMemAmtFilter = @{n="MemoryMB"; e={$_.Config.Hardware.MemoryMB}}
          ## display the info, and export to CSV
          $arrVMViews | Select-Object name, $hshCPUCountFilter, $hshMemAmtFilter | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation c:\temp\myVMInfo.csv

Enjoy.

• 2. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
            peter79 Enthusiast

Guys,

I just realised I made a mistake in my above post.  The request for script 2 should read as follows

Script 2

I need to search for any datastore that has C1 in the title and output there names as well as amount of free disk space left to a CSV file.

Thanks again guys.

• 3. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
              mattboren Master
              vExpert

I missed the "and allocated size" portion of the original post.  Here are some updated ways to get the desired info including the disk size:

Get-Cluster myClusterName | Get-VM | Select-Object Name, MemoryMB, NumCpu, ProvisionedSpaceGB | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation c:\temp\myVMInfo.csv

or

$arrVMViews = Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -SearchRoot (Get-Cluster myClusterName).MoRef -Property Config.Hardware,Name,Summary.Storage
              $hshCPUCountFilter = @{n="NumCPUs"; e={$_.Config.Hardware.NumCPU}}
              $hshMemAmtFilter = @{n="MemoryMB"; e={$_.Config.Hardware.MemoryMB}}
              $hshDiskAmtFilter = @{n="DiskGB"; e={"{0:n1}" -f (($_.Summary.Storage.Committed + $_.Summary.Storage.Uncommitted) / 1gb)}}
              $arrVMViews | Select-Object name, $hshCPUCountFilter, $hshMemAmtFilter, $hshDiskAmtFilter | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation c:\temp\myVMInfo.csv

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
                mattboren Master
                vExpert

Hello-

Well, that can be easily handled by adding the wildcard that you desire, as such:

Get-Cluster myClusterName | Get-VMHost | Get-Random | Get-Datastore *c1* | Select-Object name, FreeSpaceMB, CapacityMB | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation c:\temp\myDaterstoreInfo.csv

Enjoy.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
                  peter79 Enthusiast

Thanks for your reponse the first script worked nicely but the second doesnt seem to work.

• 6. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
                    mattboren Master
                    vExpert

Where is the second one-liner breaking for you?  What is/are the error(s) returned?  And, what version of PowerShell are you using?  (You can grab the PowerShell version from within PowerShell by looking at the "$host" variable or running the "Get-Host" cmdlet).

• 7. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
                      peter79 Enthusiast

I was able to figure out the problem thanks for your help I've awarded you some nice points!

• 8. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
                        mattboren Master
                        vExpert

Indeed, thx for the pts.  So, curious:  what did you find to be the problem?

• 9. Re: Need help with some cluster power shell scripts
                          peter79 Enthusiast

I ran the script below and it got what I needed.

Get-Datastore *C1*| Select-Object name, FreeSpaceMB, CapacityMB | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation c:\myDaterstoreInfo.csv