VMware Cloud Community
vChr1s
Contributor
Contributor

A large number of idle sessions

I wanted to ask anyone here if they have seen this issue.  I believe it has to do with NetApp VSC 2.0.1 but I am not entirely sure.  I just noticed the other day there is constantly a large amount of idle sessions when I view them in the vSphere client.  I attached a screenshot of what it looked like this morning but over the weekend I noticed there were 81 idle sessions all from the same username.  This username is the service account for the vCenter install.  It also is the credentials VSC uses to connect.  I have a support ticket opened for a possibly related issue, and I plan on including this problem too,  and I am waiting for a call back but I thought I'd ask here in the interim.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So it turns out that it was vMA causing the issues.  I disconnected the servers and shut down vMA, and the list of sessions dissappeared.  This was also the cause behind why my SQL db grew 10 GB in a week.  Every one of these sessions logs in and out of vCenter and this gets logged in a couple tables "vpx_event" and "vpx_event_arg".  I followed this post on the VMware blogs and I was able to get my db size back under contro and shutting down vMA got my db growth under control.

http://blogs.vmware.com/kb/2010/09/dealing-with-vcenter-41-database-tables-growth.html

I don't know why vMA was doing this but I'll be sure to update this if I find out.  Just in case this may help any one else.

Chris A. Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
0 Replies