VMware Cloud Community
Moynul_Ali
Contributor
Contributor

The number of systems being monitored has dropped in Cap Plan?!

Hello,

Can somebody please explain what this message is all about in Capacity Planner... "The number of systems being monitored has dropped bellow xx.%...".

It had been working and then suddently stopped after a few days. I checked the account and made sure all the passwords were re-extended but still i get a message.

Another thing i noticed is the fact that although the Cap Plan was started in Nov 2010, it seems to think it was started in July 2010?! I cant see how that can be as the Collector was registered near the end of Nov 10.

Can anybody please advise and also whats the best contact for Cap Plan support. Did send an email to VMware Support a few days ago, yet recieved no reply!.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
maishsk
Expert
Expert

Can you check what license you are using for capcity planner? is it per vm / per cpu?

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
Moynul_Ali
Contributor
Contributor

It should be per VM. I never had an issue with other exercises i done in the past.

How would i check the licenses?

Thanks

0 Kudos
maishsk
Expert
Expert

Should be in the licensing section of your vCenter Server.

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
Moynul_Ali
Contributor
Contributor

Surely that shouldnt affect my VMware Capacity Planning Collector? As mentioned before, it was all collecting fine then suddently stopped after about 10 days.

The collector has nothing to do woth the vCenter server as it is monitoring physical servers!

0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

You are talking about vmware CP and not the add-on that you can use in vCenter - this is where the confusion occured.

I have seen a similar issue when the time and date of a system under analysis was completely wrong.

You may need to check the time and date of the datacollector and get the customer to check that all the servers have the correct date and time and in the correct time zone.

Moynul_Ali
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The date and time seemed to be correct on the Collector, and seemed very odd at why the dates were completely wrong! I did try and send VMware an email but i have yet to have a reply.....and this was 3 weeks ago!

However i found out the reason why my collection dropped. The account that was being used by the collector had expired and although it was extended again, the service needed to be restarted. Once i restarted the Capacity Planning Service on the collector, it all started to collect properly again.

Thanks

0 Kudos