VMware {code} Community
Muthuk
Contributor
Contributor

VDDK 1.2.1 write failed with unknown error return code 1

Hi,

I am facing this unknown error with return code 1 many time during the write operation (both advance tranport mode and NBD mode).

VDDK detailed log error information are as below

[NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpRead: bRead: -1

DISKLIB-LIB   : RWv failed ioId: #10900 (290) (34) .

some times we get some different IO VDDK error information for the same unknown error message, RC = 1

On behalf of the above write failure, i have following questions.

1. What are the possible reasons for the VDDK failure with unknown error message and return code 1, especially during write operation?

2. Is there any way to resolve it or continue the write operation. If yes please explain the operations we need to do (like, we need to start again from VixDiskLib_InitEx() or VixDiskLib_ConnectEx() or OpenVMDKFileA())

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks in Advance,

Muthu

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tos2k
Expert
Expert

Hi!

I would not consider

[NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpRead: bRead: -1

as an unknown error.

VDDK fails to read. There are probably thousands of reasons for that.

Tos2k

0 Kudos
Muthuk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

We get this error only during VDDK write and it fails. I am not sure about internal process during VDDK write its related logs

But we get this [NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpRead: bRead: -1 error ...

Can you please let me know couple of scenarios, when we will get this [NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpRead: bRead: -1 error, during VDDK write API call ?

As i said this is not happening always, If it happened again i will share you complete VDDK logs

Thanks,

Muthu

0 Kudos
tos2k
Expert
Expert

Hi!

We are also experiencing similar fail, sporadically of course.

I am assuming network "issues" causing read/write fails as

[NFC ERROR] NfcFssrvrProcessErrorMsg: received diskLib error 327689 from server: NfcFssrvrWrite: Failed to write 102400 bytes @ 37865652224 : An error was detected

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100461...

We are assuming that this can be couse be errors in the network config (not properly working ports/switches), firewalls, load balancers aso.

We have currently two installations, and have issues just at one of them.

Tos2k

0 Kudos
GoggiP365
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I had a similar case recently with the same error message and the issue was caused by CBT  The only workaround will be a manual reset of the CBT of VM. 

Error message

avvcbimage Warning <16004>: Soap fault detected, Get In-Use Block problem, Msg:'SOAP 1.1 fault: "":ServerFaultCode [no subcode]

"A specified parameter was not correct.

deviceKey"

Detail: <InvalidArgumentFault xmlns="urn:vim25" xsi:type="InvalidArgument"><invalidProperty>deviceKey</invalidProperty></InvalidArgumentFault>

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103187...

To disable CBT:

1. Power off the virtual machine.
  2. Right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
  3. Click the Options tab.
  4. Click General under the Advanced section and then click Configuration Parameters. The Configuration Parameters dialog opens.
  5. Set the ctkEnabled parameter to false for the corresponding SCSI disk.
0 Kudos