3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2011 2:41 PM by a.p.

Reaching guest from host problems

macourteau Lurker

Hello,

I've installed VMWare Server 2.0.0 build 128374 (32-bit) on a Windows 7 Pro x64 host. Guest is Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.7 Lenny.

The guest is setup to be bridged on the host's network adapter. I'm having a very weird problem. It seems like the host has problems accessing the guest over the network only when it's the "first time in a while" ("a while" being maybe 30-60 seconds, I didn't really test), and then there are no problems unless I don't access it within that (very short...) while. Here's what ping'ing the guest from the host gives:

C:\>ping 192.168.0.7

Pinging 192.168.0.7 with 32 bytes of data:
      Reply from 192.168.0.2: Destination host unreachable.
      Reply from 192.168.0.7: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.7:
          Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
          Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I'm not having this problem from other computers on the network. The host's IP is 192.168.0.103 (DHCP-assigned), and the guest is 192.168.0.7 (static). Now the really weird thing is that the first reply is from some IP that doesn't exist on the network! Also weird is that it says no packets were lost. Pinging that IP (192.168.0.2) from any computer on the network (including the guest) says that it doesn't exist, but pinging it from the host gives this:

C:\>ping -a 192.168.0.2

Pinging HOST [192.168.0.2] with 32 bytes of data:
      Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:
          Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
          Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Which is very strange, seeing that it says that it's itself (the host), although that is not it's IP address.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? It's getting really annoying, especially since the host will run headless and only provide network services, which will be used mostly by the host...

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Reaching guest from host problems
          a.p. Guru
          vExpertCommunity WarriorsUser Moderators

Welcome to the Community,

I'm not familiar with VMware Server on Linux, however at least on Windows installations the x.x.x.2 IP address is usually used as the gateway address for the VMware NAT network. You may want to double check the network setup to make sure there is no installation/configuration issue.

Maybe it's possible to stop the VMware NAT service for troubleshooting!?

André

• 2. Re: Reaching guest from host problems
            macourteau Lurker

The host is Windows, not Linux, so that would make sense. I didn't know the x.x.x.2 IPs were used by VMware NAT services.

The debian guest is the only guest running and uses a bridged network adapter, so I have no need for NAT... I've stopped & disabled the "VMware NAT Service" on the Windows 7 host computer, but I'm still having the same problem. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the fast reply!

• 3. Re: Reaching guest from host problems
              a.p. Guru
              Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert
              VMWare Server 2.0.0 build 128374 (32-bit) on a Windows 7 Pro x64

Uups, sorry my bad. 

I could only think of a firewall or AV application causing the issues, except there's a general issue with VMware Server on WIndows 7 (which is basically not supported). I'm sure there are forum members who have experience with this combination though.

André