VMware Cloud Community
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmotion Compatibility Guide

Dear all,

Can anybody help me to find a compatibility guide for VMotion on HP Servers. We are running two HP DL380G6 servers with Intel® Xeon® X5560 processors and want to buy HP DL380 G7 servers with Intel® Xeon® X5650 processors. I need to know if these different models will be vmotion capable.

Thanks,

Kenny

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Kenny,

You can have a look at the following article.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Kenny,

You can have a look at the following article.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Based on Frank's link you will need to create a cluster that has EVC enabled and select Intel® Xeon® Core™ i7 EVC Mode for both hosts to co exist. The hosts need to be in maintainance mode before being allowed to join in.

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

idle-jam wrote:

Hi,

Based on Frank's link you will need to create a cluster that has EVC enabled and select Intel® Xeon® Core™ i7 EVC Mode for both hosts to co exist. The hosts need to be in maintainance mode before being allowed to join in.

Very Close and useful idle-jam (though not always 100% strictly true),

In some instances, you can enable EVC on a live cluster, provided all hosts in the cluster are already running at the 'reduced' instruction set specified.

I'd suggest trying to enbale EVC at the above levels, then adding the new hosts (I have a feeling you may be lucky and it may just work in your case)

Secondly, Hosts do not have to be in maintenance mode, VMs just need shutting down.

Good luck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .