VMware Cloud Community
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot change destination disk (export vm through vcenter)

I shut down a vm and I am doing the Export, and for some reason, I cannot change one of the virtual disks to the minimum size, even though it is no ttaking up the whole 150 G.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any thoughts on this?   I can change the C: to a minimum level, but I cannot change the M: disk.

This is the first time I've had this problem using the converter Export feature through vCenter.

0 Kudos
mjoseph
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried using Vconverter standalone?

Are you trying to export into a virtual appliance?

0 Kudos
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have not yet, since the vm is in a lab.   I guess I could try and see what happens.

No, I'm just trying to convert the vm so I can make the 2nd vmdk smaller.

0 Kudos
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, I installed the stand-alone converter into the VM.   However, since the machine is on an isolated test LAN, it cannot see vcenter, and therefore cannot truly convert using this method,.

However, when choosing the destination as  VMWare workstation or otehr vmware instead of infrastructure vm, I can then change the disk size.

I will see about running the vcenter converter with this option and see what happens.

0 Kudos
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope.   Did the same non-infrastructure convert and the same thing.

I wonder why it works in the standalone converter, but not the plug-in for vcenter?

0 Kudos
mjoseph
Contributor
Contributor

Did you say that your vcenter cannot see this machine? That it is on a separate vlan?

Mike Joseph ♦ Systems Engineer ♦ PRGX USA, Inc.

600 Galleria Parkway, Suite 200 ♦ Atlanta, GA 30339

O: 770.779.3245 ♦ M: 678.643.4503 ♦ Mike.Joseph@prgx.com<mailto:Mike.Joseph@prgx.com>

<http://www.prgx.com/

0 Kudos
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, the machine cannot see the vcenter because it is on a diff vswitch than the admin LAN.

vcenter can see the VM.

0 Kudos