VMware Edu & Cert Community
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Selling VMware Official Study Material

I know this is just wishful thinking but I'm still going to throw this out as a topic for discussion.

Considering that attendance to an authorized VMware training course is NOT a prerequisites to obtaining either of the VCAP certifications, I would like the option to purchase official VMware training material as it relates to the to VCAP4-DCA and VCAP4-DCD exams.

Since this option is not offerend by VMware, I can't help but wonder if it should be.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Also, is there anything from VMware whihc states that course attendees are not permitted to sell their course material?

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

As I know this materials are available only for people the attendee at the official course.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

Well for the VMware vSphere: Manage and Design for Security course. Just download the vSphere hardening guide and know it all. For the powershell one just buy Alan Renouf and Luc Deken's new book http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-PowerCLI-Reference-Administration/dp/0470890797

The course notes are mainly all the information in all of the documents you are recommended to study for the VCAP exams anyhow

I've posted all the resources I'm using for my VCAP exams if you interested/links to all the documents they recommend

http://thesaffageek.wordpress.com/vcap-dca-dcd/

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Andrew M wrote:

As I know this materials are available only for people the attendee at the official course.

Andre

I believe you are correct and this is something I would liek to see VMware consider changing.  As it stands right now VMware usually only offers one course per year at my local training center and that is always the install and config coures.  After completing this course for versions 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0 I would love to take something more advanced like the Design course but that would require additional funding for travel.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can say that VMware definitely don't sell the official training manuals to anyone other than their own training students and training providers such as VATCs, and that VATCs cannot re-sell them.

As I'm no lawyer, I've no idea whether a student selling their training manuals on would be illegal, my guess would be that it is.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Remember that many official courses can be done live online these days, although the Design course is not available via that method due to the nature of it's content and participation.

I can't personally see VMware changing their policy on selling manuals outside of a training event, as someone who works for a VATC I can't even begin to imagine my Managing Director's face if that were to happen. VMware also publish such a huge amount of information on their web site in terms of the vSphere documentation, technical papers, and so on.

They may choose to publish official reference books at some point in the future, like Microsoft do, who knows?

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I should also add that I know how much the official training manuals cost :smileyshocked:

Scott.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Things might have changed but in the mid to late 90's we used to purchase Microsoft and Novell course materials for under $200 a course.  This used to include everything you needed to complete the course and labs yourself.  I guess that's pretty much the same as the self-paced courses that VMware is currently offering but the difference is that VMware's current self-paced offering is extremely limited.

0 Kudos
Newbie009
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

I have a question for you.

If I have sat this course but I have lost my student manual (in the process of changing jobs) am I able to get another one through VMware?

What would be the cost (if there was one)?

If you don´t know, do you know the best way I could contact VMware to ask?

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

As far as I know, NO, you cannot get a replacement manual if you loose yours.

0 Kudos
Newbie009
Contributor
Contributor

Doh!

OK thanks for the info.

Regards

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Things have definitely changed, my employer would love to be able to get VMware manuals for $200!! And we have to pay VATC fees, certify our VCIs, and rent or host lab equipment - it's a costly business being a VATC, a good business, but a costly business. Oh, and then there's my salary! Smiley Wink

Scott.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your best bet in getting a replacement manual is through whichever provider you did your training with - they may be able to help.

Scott.

0 Kudos
carl1
Expert
Expert

JD, VMware does offer a lot of courses online.  If all they physically offer in your area is ICM then you might take a look at those.  They are really well done.

Carl L.

0 Kudos