VMware Cloud Community
Symbiot
Contributor
Contributor

netcard issue after migrating physical server to virtual

Hi

I just moved a physical server (win server 2008) to a virtual server, and all went well.. Yay...

but the nic refuse to work... says it needs a new driver.. which is strange..

I read somewhere that it's possible to install a new nic driver.. a vmware driver, but I'm not sure how to go about it..

Can someone guide me?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Install VMware tools from the vSphere client.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You wil also want to remove any old device drivers and software related to the physical machine (OEM specific software etc).

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1014169

sivagndl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI

Select that Vitrul Machine ,go to Edit setting Select the HardWare Tab Then Click on the Add button then it "ll show the device type hear Select the Etharnet Adapter Click the  Next select the Adapter type hear u select the E1000 and Upgrade the Vmware Tools Once..

0 Kudos
Symbiot
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this...

My only problem now is ip configuration..

I might be daft, but I assumed that it wasn't necessary to give each VM a static IP ?

I am only getting 169 IP... 😞

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The virtual machines are no different than physical machines. They must have a valid IP address in the same range as is visible from the uplink port on the vSwitch. The 169 address is what you would get if it couldn't get an address via dhcp etc. just as would happen in a physical network.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

remember to assigned the right portgroup for the vnic assigned to your virtual machine. then the rest is just like physical server. is the portgroup created properly in the first place?

0 Kudos