VMware Cloud Community
vhascoet
Contributor
Contributor

How to register ESXi 4.1 to Clariion CX4 ?

Hello,

We've just installed 2 ESXi with 4.1 and connected them to an EMC² Clariion CX4 Storage Arrays through Fibre Channel. Both the ESXi and CX4 see each other's WWNs, however the ESXi are not able to register with the CX4. Here's what we get in Navisphere :

Server (20:00:00:24:FF:2B:E8:A6:21:00:00:24:FF:2B:E8:A6) has some HBAs that are active (logged in) but not registered with the storage system. Active (logged in) but unregistered HBA connections are not able to access LUNs on the storage system.

Alert Code: 0x7211

Resolution

On the server, restart the Navisphere Agent or use the Server Utility to register all HBAs with the storage system.

NB: There is network connectivity between the Clariion and the ESXi.

Not sure what we missed there... Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Vincent.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vhascoet
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to mention that I investigated this other thread to no avail...

0 Kudos
ChrisWillisVA
Contributor
Contributor

We don't have FC but I had a similar issue with an iSCSI install.  Somehow the hosts managed to register against a management interface that was not allowing them access to the storage groups.  This was impossible to see until I went into engineering mode on the SAN.

Once I saw the connections to the managament interface I was able to move them over to the iSCSI side and all was right with the world.

Shoot me a PM is you don't know how to get to engineering mode.

Connectivity status was where I found mine, Storage group was listed as management...

Best of Luck...

0 Kudos
vhascoet
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Chris for your quick reply.

However it turns out that the issue was simpler than that :

The ESXi couldn't register themselves with the CX4 because their hostnames were not properly defined in the ESX configuration, hence in the /etc/hosts file.

0 Kudos
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

first we configure the hosts in cx4 , if host is fibre channel (www&wwwn) connected to switch and enable , if it is iscsi initator enable , vmkernel should be enable fo this process in esx server

0 Kudos
vhascoet
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Satish,

However in my case the only problem was a /etc/hosts configuration problem (cf my previous reply). The ESXi could register as soon as I fixed that.

0 Kudos