VMware Horizon Community
sommert
Contributor
Contributor

Cant add transfer server

Guys,

What would some of the reasons be that my transfer server wont show up in the list when I try to add it to View Administrator?  The service is installed on a dedicated VM , I checked the services and they are all started and temporaily disabled the windows firewall.  My Vcenter server is added ok and I have deployed a few working desktops.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the transfer servers needs to be a VM on a host that is being managed by the vcenter linked to the view server.

0 Kudos
sommert
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I believe I meet those requirements.  I only have one vCenter with two ESX hosts and its registered in the View Admin Console.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

hmm if that is the case, can you refer to this and that all the steps are follow properly? http://paulslager.com/?p=624

HTH

0 Kudos
sommert
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like I did all that except I am using the paravirtual SCSI adapter which it didn't bark about.

Now that I see his snapshot of the list of transfer servers to pick from it's clear that I have a larger problem here. That screen should show all the VMs in vCenter and not just the transfer servers so looks like I have a problem reading the Vcenter data since mine just comes back blank.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

hmm if that is the case, maybe you can check that the view server and vcenter and esx versions are compatible to one another. and lastly. maybe a reboot of vcenter?

0 Kudos
sommert
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure whats going on.  Rebooted everything.   View shows the vcenter is up and green.   This is all new build out for a lab.

0 Kudos
MSpencerINX
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same issue where the View Transfer server did not show up in the list when attempting to add it.

However, as you mentioned you may have a bigger issue where your list is not showing "any" VM's. May want to check to ensure the account View Manager is using is an administrator on the vCenter server or an account that has privis to view all VM's.

In short what I came across was the issue of the LSI SAS Controller being installed by default on a W2k8 VM. During the install of the Tranfer server it did complain about this so I switched to the Paravirtualization controller without reading the docs. The "install" worked meaning that the application installed without complaining but of course it caused it to not show up in the add Transfer server list..

So that was my specific issue as the Paravirtual controller is not supported per the View 4.5 release notes here .

http://www.vmware.com/support/view45/doc/view45_releasenotes.html

....excerpt -

You cannot install View Transfer Server on a virtual machine that uses LSI SAS or PVSCSI disk controllers and runs in vSphere 4 or later. If the virtual machine's guest operating system is Windows 2008, where LSI SAS controllers are configured by default, you must ensure that the virtual machine has the proper disk-controller configuration (BusLogic Parallel or LSI Logic Parallel) before you begin installing the operating system.

... end excerpt

Once I changed to LSI Logic Paraller the View Transfer server showed up in my list.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

What Mark said is correct.

You should also note that only VMs with server OS will be listed to select as Transfer Server.

If there are no VMs satisfying these conditions then you may not see any VMs listed.

-Noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
dwaynehall
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same issue and I had found that since I had included all of the VMware view components (Transport, Connection etc.) as a part of a vApp for the purposes of controlling  power etc. that once I removed the transport server from the vApp it showed in the list and I was able to add it.

Dwayne

0 Kudos
virtech
Expert
Expert

Confirm the same issue as dwaynehall , dont add ur transfer server to a vApp

0 Kudos