VMware Cloud Community
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

2nd VDR appliance in same environment

Hi ,

i am using 4.1 environment and VDR 1.2 for Backup and restoration for virtual machines. Currently i have 80 virtual machine. only 1 VDr is looking over burden for me . now i am planning to configure 1 more VDR to take backup.  each VDR with 1 TB storage disk for backup. i will configure 40/40 VM for each VDR. please tell me is this the good practice to configure 2 VDR in same environment with single virtual center. if no then please suggest the another solution. can i run 10 backup at the same time in single VDR.

and if my two backup windows 1 group with 10 VM and another group with 5 Vm execute at same time then please tell me is the backup will contine or stops as i read in vmware document it support only 8 at atime

Ravi
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should be fine introducing another VDR appliance.  The recommendation you speak of regarding 8 at a time is per VDR appliance as you are limited to the number or SCSI devices per the VM's SCSI controller if I am not mistaken.  In short though, you should be good to roll out another appliance without issue.

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
Ravi1987
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your Reply.Please tell me few more things.

8 is limitation we have read in VDR document (recommnded 8 VM backup at a time).

please tell me what happened (scnario) if i have two backup job run at different interval ( difference of 4 hours) if one is executing at 1 am and other is executing at 5 am and that time first is not completed .both carrying backup for 10 vm each.

the back job for first task will wait for completeetion or time out.

second task will be wait to start till first completed.

Ravi
0 Kudos
parkut
Contributor
Contributor

I do this in my shop.

You can run two vDR appliances with no problem.

Each appliance will run a maximum of eight backup jobs at the same time.

You can have them scheduled for the same time.  Your only limitation may

be the available bandwidth to your backup device, or if writing to a slow

device, the ability to write the data at the destination.

You must not try to backup the same Virtual Machine on more than

one vDR appliance.

0 Kudos