VMware Cloud Community
JMWTech
Contributor
Contributor

Slow Mouse in vCenter Console (x64 2008 server) Solution

I've done a bit of reading in trying to find a solution.  It seems that the display driver is at fault.  There are numerous other articles out there but it seems none have a clear answer and/or steps to rectify the problem at least that I've found.  It is my hope that I can clearly outline what worked for us. We had to replace the display driver with the WDDM driver located here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video.  A reboot is required so plan on doing this when the server can go down.

If you need a step by step guide here is one I just threw together for our documentation:

Prep:
1.) Make sure VMware Tools is up to date.  Our version is 8.3.2 build-257589.  We had to download the VMware Tools ISO from http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/index.html (latest>Windows>x86_64 is what worked for us) to do a custom install where we specified that all the VMware device drivers were to be installed to the hard drive. (Reboot Required)
2.) The guest machine needs to be at VM Version 7.  You can update the VM "hardware" version using update manager. (Reboot Required)

Changing Driver:
1.) On the 2008 Server open up the device manager and expand the Display adapters
2.) Right click on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and select Properties
3.) Click the Driver tab.
4.) Click the Update Driver button
5.) Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
6.) Click have Disk... button
7.) Click browse and go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video
8.) Select vm3d and click open.
9.) Click OK on the Install From Disk window
10.) VMware SVGA 3D (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) should be selected
11.) Click Next and then Close
12.) A reboot is required so select Yes.

After the reboot it should work great.

Good Luck.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
sayton
Contributor
Contributor

Great solution, it worked great for us.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

"great solution"? 

Not really, considering the manual amount of work involved and the MANY virtual machines a lot of us have.   This issue is really making me lose respect for VMware because it is still prevalent and widespread after so long. 

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this solution. This problem has plagued me for a couple months!!!!  Your solution worked perfectly!

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

Thank you. Great step-by-step instructions, makes working in the consoles much more bearable now!

0 Kudos
amartin7260
Contributor
Contributor

This process worked for me as well.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
tstahlfsu2
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely fantastic! Too bad this still hasn't been corrected in vSphere...:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
coheteloco
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU! Using the console was driving me NUTS! Of course it took like 40 minutes to do because of the sluggish console 🙂

I fail to understand why VMware can't fix this, but I'm really thankful you took the time to describe the solution.

0 Kudos
JMWTech
Contributor
Contributor

Glad the steps above worked for you.  I'm pretty sure the issue has been fixed in vSphere 5 as I haven't had to update the display driver on new servers since we upgraded.

0 Kudos
coheteloco
Contributor
Contributor

Well that makes sense, We're on 4.1.0. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
rohowo
Contributor
Contributor

I had the wddm driver installed but the mouse was still driving me crazy. Compared every setting on this guest with another in the same environment which worked OK. Tried changing from SVGA 3D to VGA II, lots of reboots, hardware acceleration set to max, all visual effects turned on, increased RAM to 16GB and 4 x CPU, moved host servers, played with all resolutions, windows updates. Nothing 😞

Then I went to Install/ Upgrade VMTools - Interactive Install - Repair. Rebooted guest and it's working fine now. Jeez, what a pulaver!!!

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

This sluggish mouse problem after installing VMware tools is not guaranteed that the Display drivers will be updated as well to SVGA 3D, I have seen many times with Windows Server 2008 R2 VMs where this driver is not updated especially after conversion. Funny thing the same VM converted again and the SVGA 3D driver is updated, there is no consistency and ESXi version is 5.1

NIkhil

0 Kudos