VMware Cloud Community
fele01
Contributor
Contributor

Cancelling a copy task in ESXi vsphere Client

Hi All

I am pretty new to ESX but have bene using workstation, and server for some time.  My department have now moved to ESXi and I am copying the VM images from one server to another.

I wanted know is there a way to cancel a copy task in vsphere client once its in progress?  I noticed that when I select the task the opion to cancel the task is greyed out.  I  connect to the server via ssh and ran a ps -ef|more but could not see anything that resembled a copy process.

Also the copy and move option seems to be very slow considering I am copying from one vmfs file system to another vmfs filesystem.

Thanks

E

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pauljawood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

If the option is grayed out then you will have to wait for the task to fail or complete. It may also be that the copy has not actually started yet and once you get a progress bar the copy should allow the cancelation of the task.

I hope this is helpful and please leave points if it is.

If you found this helpful then please leave some points.
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

it's either not started and waiting for some other process to finish. once it is started with 1% you could stop it. the other way would be stopping vcenter services to halt all the pending jobs/processes.

0 Kudos
fele01
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your replies

Yes I would have thought that was the case but I currently have a copy in progress which is at 39% but the option to cancel is not available.   The task display does not show any information about what is being copied.  I only see under the name column,  'Copy file'

Thanks

E

0 Kudos