VMware Communities
GaneshNetworks

Wanna add more disk space to ESX 4.0 that is running inside Workstation 7.0

I have installed ESX 4.0 in my VMware workstation 7.0 with 15GB of disk. Now i am planning to upgrade the disk size from 15GB to 30GB. How can i attain my requirement?

I have added a new 15GB by editing the settings of ESX 4.0 But it didn't show the new disk when i run the command "df -h". The ouput of this command is showing only the existing 15GB, not the new 15GB.

My question is do i need to mount the disk from the ESX console? If yes, I wanna command to do that?

Need more clarification on this. Please . . .

Thanks,

Gany

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you added a second lsi-logic scsi-disk ?

then everything else can be done with the Viclient - no need to use commandline cmds

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I have added a new 15GB by editing the settings of ESX 4.0 But it didn't show the new disk when i run the command "df -h". The output of this command is showing only the existing 15GB, not the new 15GB.

I think the 15GB you see with "df -h" is the new free disk space. To be able to see VMFS volumes you need to use "vdf -h"

However, as with all operating systems, you need to grow the partitions after growing the virtual disk. To do this on the "local" disk follow the steps in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009125

Since you are running the ESX host as a VM, I recommend you take a snapshot before growing the VMFS partition/datastore.

André

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks

Andre,

I will be right back to my lab tomorrow.So gimme day to check, how it's gonna happen.

Thanks,

Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos