VMware Cloud Community
sleekmountainca
Contributor
Contributor

inconsistant cpu info in performance tab

hello,

i am trying to gather data on some of our virtual machines. in vcenter 4.1, when i go to the advanced performance tab on a vm running on esxi 4.1, i switch to CPU in the drop drown list. the default view shows me CPU untilization in mhz in real time. i see spickes up to 1800, which is expected. however, i want max, min and avg cpu load for 1 month. i edit the chart and choose to look at the past month. this shows the max at 205, min at 29 and average at 74 mhz. this makes no sense, as most assuredly the cpu isrunning at more than 205 mhz most of the time. can someone help clarify this for me?

thanks for your time,

chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ok ill try and explain it, its how it records archived stats by default

the real time is real time refreshed ever 20s

daily - takes the real-time stats and roll them up so that there is 1 data point for every 5 minutes this is the average for that 5 minutes

weekly - takes the past day stats and roll them up so that there is 1 data point for every 30 minutes, average for 6 daily data points

monthly - take the past week stats and roll them up so there is 1 data point per 2 hours, so 1 datapoint is the average of 4 weekly data points

Yearly - take the past month stats and roll them up so there is 1 data point per day

so basically when you looking at the monthly the max data point would be 205 which was the average of 4 weekly points which in turn was the average of 6 daily data points. same goes for min and the average is the average of all the monthly data points.

you can change the stat level which would affect the level of detail stored in the archived stats

edit http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-5230 found it! this is a good doco on how the counters work

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager
0 Kudos