VMware Horizon Community
AllisenW
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot change font size View 4.5 client

We have a user who needs to increase his default font size in his display settings due to poor vision. I know that the resolution of the screen on the VM is determined by the underlying desktops settings and that is fine, but the font size does not and cannot be changed. It tells me the settings are managed by the system administrator. So I made him an Administrator, increasing his video RAM, checked all the View group policy templates to see if it could be enabled there but have found nothing. Internet searches have turned up nothing as well. I think mostly because the word "view" is so common. Does anyone know how to do this? He is connecting VIA PCoIP.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Font size is handled by the underlying operating system. For Windows XP, have a look at this Microsoft KB.

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
AllisenW
Contributor
Contributor

I thought so too. The underlying operating system is set to a larger size, and it does not carry over to his VM.

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What does the user see when he attempts to adjust the font size? Is the problem simply that he cannot see the Settings tab in the Display Properties dialog?

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
AllisenW
Contributor
Contributor

All options are greyed out, and it says "These settings are managed by your system administrator". Just like the screen resolution is, but that carries over from the underlying desktop, the font does not.

0 Kudos
emmen
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same problem. When i change user privileges to Admin rights, it tells me, settings can't be changed through a remote session.. 😞

anyone got an idea?

thanks

0 Kudos
AGratefulDad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This appears to not be possible through RDP in all of my testing - but IS possible through PCoIP.

I have a user in our environment that had the same challenge, and we were able to get this accomplished through PCoIP.

EDIT> Adjust the settings through a console session via vCenter and it will hold the settings - sorry, left that part out.

Hope that helps!

Twitter: @thevirtualguy
0 Kudos
WCARD201110141
Contributor
Contributor

That is correct and we had the same issue and had to have the user login via console as themselves and make the change since the were not Admins on their VM. These are Windows 7 VM's using View 4.5.

0 Kudos
DDunaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Old thread, but i just figured this out. btw, I am using View 5 so hopefully this is possible if you are still running 4.5.

there are adm templates for group policy specific for the View agent.

you can find them on your conenction server under c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\Extras\Group Policy Files

create a new or modify an existing GPO, under computer configuratio>policies right click on administrative templates and import the adm templates you got from the connection server. you will now see "Classic Administrative Templates (ADM) as a subfolder.

drill down to VMware View Agent Configuration and set the "Toggle display setting Control" to "disabled"

note: these adm templates are where you configure PCoIP session variables as well as View 5's new feature, persona management.

have fun!

0 Kudos
computerfixitgu
Contributor
Contributor

I am working on allowing users to modify their screen font size in wondows 7.  I tried editing the group policy outlined above in this thread and it had no affect.  I then found another Group Policy that deals with this same issue.  It is here;

User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization/Prohibit selection of visual font size

It needs to be set to Disabled.

Once I made both the change listed above and this change, the options to modify the screen fonts were no longer greyed out.

0 Kudos
rrizzi3821
Contributor
Contributor

I just went through all of this today with a clean, 2008 R2 AD, Win 7 Pro x86, View 5.2.0 and still cannot adjust the font size. I followed your suggestion, and what is interesting about it is that the User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization/Prohibit selection of visual font size setting only applies to "Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 operating systems only" according to the Group Policy Editor in Windows Server 2008 R2. I confirmed this when I modeled the effect of the policy setting against a Windows 7 target computer, because it will not apply it.

Therefore, there must be something else you did, or some "other" policy settings that makes this work.

-- RR
0 Kudos
davidmarkley
Contributor
Contributor

I searched high and low for these settings, and tried numerous group policies to no avail. Then, in random googling, found this and solved the issue with the manual registry edit:

VMware KB: Settings tab is not available in the Display control panel of a View desktop in local mod...

Hope this helps...

0 Kudos