VMware Communities
Noel
Expert
Expert

Linux 2.6.37-rc1 patch [if you don't know why you care, you don't -- move on]

Linux 2.6.37-rc1 is out, and there are big changes. The one that effects VMware is that changes that we needed for the -RT patch set are now necessary for the generic kernel. The following changes are required:

1) compat_semaphore.h:

-#if defined CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT && LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 31)
+#if (defined CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT && LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 31)) || LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2, 6, 37)

2) compat_semaphore.h:

-      #define init_MUTEX(_m) semaphore_init(_m)
+      #define init_MUTEX(_m) sema_init(_m,1)

3) vmnet-only/filter.c:

#include "vmnetInt.h"
+#include "compat_semaphore.h"

This last one is an old (and previously reported) defect where filter.c fails to include the necessary header file.

Attached is a cumulative patch for WS 7.1.2 for kernels 2.6.35 - 2.6.37-rc1. It is working for 2.6.37-rc1, so far, but I need to do more testing to make sure I didn't break anything else. In the meantime, I'm providing it for all of my fellow sickos who actually try early kernels.

NB: I did not change all of the compat_semaphore.h copies, just the one's that mattered. VMware will end up modifying just one copy in source control.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jlward4th
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Noel for this. I've updated it to work on the latest Ubuntu 11.04 with 2.6.37-2. The patch and script are attached.

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Noel and jlward4th! I didn't want to hound anyone, but was wondering ...

Matthew

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

Thank you Noel and jlward4th! I didn't want to hound anyone, but was wondering ...

You're welcome. As does James, I have Natty running here, as well. So hopefully we can continue to keep ahead of others in terms of kernel adoption.

With luck VMware will pick up the patches for the next release, and start a beta soon so that I don't have to keep maintaining them. LOL

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, it's great.

BTW, when I run James's script, it always requires me to be root. I've always commented that out, because I couldn't become a sufficient root to run the script (sudo su etc.). Do I have to drop into root at boot to become "0"?

Thanks, MS

0 Kudos
jlward4th
Contributor
Contributor

I've updated the script and patch file to support vmware 7.1.3 and kernel 2.6.37-5. They are attached.

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

That looks like the WS 7.1.2 patch, based on the file dates mentioned in the diff, and some of the changes that are already present in WS 7.1.3. I posted the WS 7.1.3 patch in another thread.

0 Kudos