VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vSwitch and Portgroup Security Settings

I am looking for a way to query the security settings (Promiscuous Mode, Forged Transmits and MAC Changes) of vSwitches and Portgroups. MY PS skills are limited. I can get about this far mostly from patching together various scripts I found. However at this point I must supply a vSwitch and even when I am able to pass that information I have no idea what to do after that.

Foreach ($VMHost in Get-VMHost){

Foreach ($vSwitch in ($VMHost | Get-VirtualSwitch )){

$hostMoRef = Get-VMHost $VMhost | % {Get-View $_.Id}

$hostNetwork = $hostMoRef.configManager.networkSystem

$hostNetworkMoRef = Get-View $hostNetwork

$hostNetworkMoRef.NetworkInfo

}

}

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In PowerCLI 4.1 you can use the Extensiondata property to get at the Managed Object.

To list the security settings of all your vSwitches and their portgroups you can do something like this

foreach ($VMHost in Get-VMHost){
	foreach($vSwitch in $VMHost.ExtensionData.Config.Network.Vswitch){
		Write-Host $vSwitch.Name
		Write-Host "`tPromiscuous mode:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous
		Write-Host "`tForged transmits:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits
		Write-Host "`tMAC Changes:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges
		foreach($portgroup in ($VMHost.ExtensionData.Config.Network.Portgroup | where {$_.Vswitch -eq $vSwitch.Key})){
			Write-Host "`n`t" $portgroup.Spec.Name
			Write-Host "`t`tPromiscuous mode:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous
			Write-Host "`t`tForged transmits:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits
			Write-Host "`t`tMAC Changes:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges
		}
	}
}

Note that the a security setting for a portgroup will be blank (= not set) when it uses the inherited corresponding vSwitch setting.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In PowerCLI 4.1 you can use the Extensiondata property to get at the Managed Object.

To list the security settings of all your vSwitches and their portgroups you can do something like this

foreach ($VMHost in Get-VMHost){
	foreach($vSwitch in $VMHost.ExtensionData.Config.Network.Vswitch){
		Write-Host $vSwitch.Name
		Write-Host "`tPromiscuous mode:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous
		Write-Host "`tForged transmits:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits
		Write-Host "`tMAC Changes:" $vSwitch.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges
		foreach($portgroup in ($VMHost.ExtensionData.Config.Network.Portgroup | where {$_.Vswitch -eq $vSwitch.Key})){
			Write-Host "`n`t" $portgroup.Spec.Name
			Write-Host "`t`tPromiscuous mode:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous
			Write-Host "`t`tForged transmits:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits
			Write-Host "`t`tMAC Changes:" $portgroup.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges
		}
	}
}

Note that the a security setting for a portgroup will be blank (= not set) when it uses the inherited corresponding vSwitch setting.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Luc,

Thanks yet again. It worked perfectly and now knowing that Extensiondata exists makes understanding how to retrieve things I find in the MOB a lot easier.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mcourtney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way of querying Distributed Virtual Switches and their portgroups for the same information?

foreach($vSwitch in $VMHost.ExtensionData.Config.Network.Vswitch) only returns standard switches, I was able to get all switches with foreach($vSwitch in $VMHost | Get-VirtualSwitches)and was then able to query the settings of the standard switches by looking at the properties in $vSwitch.ExtensionData.Spec.Policy.Security but Distributed Virtual Switch objects don't seem to have the same property collections.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The distributed vSwitch and portgroup are configured a bit different from the old ones.

You can in fact configure these settings for each port individually.

For the dvSwitch and the dvPortgroup you can report on the default settings that are used when the port has no individual settings.

Get-VirtualSwitch -Distributed | %{
    Write-Host $_.Name
    Write-Host "`tPromiscuous mode:" $_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.AllowPromiscuous.Value
    Write-Host "`tForged transmits:" $_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits.Value
    Write-Host "`tMAC Changes:" $_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.MacChanges.Value
    foreach($portgroup in (Get-VirtualPortGroup -Distributed -VirtualSwitch $_)){
        Write-Host "`n`t" $portgroup.Name
        Write-Host "`t`tPromiscuous mode:" $portgroup.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.AllowPromiscuous.Value
        Write-Host "`t`tForged transmits:" $portgroup.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits.Value
        Write-Host "`t`tMAC Changes:" $portgroup.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.MacChanges.Value
    }
}

0 Kudos
mcourtney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked great. Thanks very much Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Luc,

I am looking for a smiliar report but I want to have the host name and the report to be placed in CSV format. Is that possible?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try something like this

&{foreach($dvSw in (Get-VirtualSwitch -Distributed)){
  Get-VirtualPortGroup -Distributed -VirtualSwitch $dvSW |

Select @{N="dvSwitch";E={$dvSw.Name}},
  @{N="Promiscuous mode";E={$dvSw.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.AllowPromiscuous.Value}},
  @{N="Forged transmits";E={$dvSw.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits.Value}},

@{N="MAC Changes";E={$dvSw.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.MacChanges.Value}},
  @{N="Portgroup";E={$_.Name}},
  @{N="Portgroup Promiscuous mode";E={$_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.AllowPromiscuous.Value}},
  @{N="Portgroup Forged transmits";E={$_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits.Value}},
  @{N="Portgroup MAC Changes";E={$_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.MacChanges.Value}} }} | Export-Csv C:\report.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

Not sure what you mean by host though. A dvSwitch is defined across several hosts.

Do you want for each dvSwitch all the hosts that are connected to it ?

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sorry i have should have mentioned it before.. I am running a standard switch , so want to include the host name in the report

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try this

&{foreach($sw in (Get-VirtualSwitch -Standard)){
  Get-VirtualPortGroup -VirtualSwitch $sw |
  Select @{N="Host";E={$sw.VMHost.Name}},
  @{N="Switch";E={$sw.Name}},

@{N="Promiscuous mode";E={$sw.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous}},
  @{N="Forged transmits";E={$sw.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits}},
  @{N="MAC Changes";E={$sw.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges}},
  @{N="Portgroup Promiscuous mode";E={$_.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous}},
  @{N="Portgroup Forged transmits";E={$_..Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits}},
  @{N="Portgroup MAC Changes";E={$_.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges}} }} | Export-Csv C:\report.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks Luc!!

0 Kudos
RNSmith
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there an easy way to set the security settings via PowerCLI?  For the sVS and dVS.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In the dvSwitch module that comes with the PowerCLI Reference book there is a function called Set-DistributedSwitchPortGroup, that does all this.

0 Kudos
jlkumar07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI LUC,

please check attached screen shot which i am getting empty values. script to get security settings of standard switch.

@{N="Promiscuous mode";E={$sw.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.AllowPromiscuous.Value}},

@{N="Forged transmits";E={$sw.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits.Value}},

@{N="MAC Changes";E={$sw.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.MacChanges.Value}},

@{N="Portgroup Promiscuous mode";E={$_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.AllowPromiscuous.Value}},

@{N="Portgroup Forged transmits";E={$_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.ForgedTransmits.Value}},

@{N="Portgroup MAC Changes";E={$_.Extensiondata.Config.DefaultPortConfig.SecurityPolicy.MacChanges.Value}}

}} | Export-Csv C:\Users\ljonnala\Desktop\powercli\hostconfig\VSwitchSecurity.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

please help me to export the standard switch security settings to .csv.file

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since you are going for VSS, and not VDS, you will have fetch a Boolean, not a BoolPolicy

Use the script I posted earlier for "Standard" switches (hint: the property doesn't have Value at the end)

0 Kudos
jlkumar07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

please check the attached error screen shot which getting with below script.

@{N="Promiscuous mode";E={$sw.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous}},
  @{N="Forged transmits";E={$sw.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits}},
  @{N="Portgroup Promiscuous mode";E={$_.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.AllowPromiscuous}},
  @{N="Portgroup Forged transmits";E={$_..Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits}},
  @{N="Portgroup MAC Changes";E={$_.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges}}
}}
| Export-Csv C:\report.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You have 2 dots in there

0 Kudos
jlkumar07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

removed the .  still i am getting the empty values  shown in pic. it is esxi 5.5 version.

used below script

@{N="Portgroup Forged transmits";E={$_.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.ForgedTransmits}},

@{N="Portgroup MAC Changes";E={$_.Extensiondata.Spec.Policy.Security.MacChanges}}

}} | Export-csv C:\Users\ljonnala\Desktop\powercli\pp\vswitchsecurity.csv

0 Kudos
jlkumar07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this time i got switch level security settings, but port-group level getting empty.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That could mean that you have no explicit security settings for the portgroups defined.

In that case the portgroups will inherit from the vSwitch